Our new winter pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I brought a little bit of the pond indoors, minus goldfish of course!

stand.jpg blanktank.jpg
Just built my little 2x4 stand yesterday, and I'll finish planting it in a few days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks @addy1 and @Stephen Noble

That stand is a first class job. Are those pegs or screw caps? If you decide you don't want the stand please deliver it to my house!

Yep, used a 1/2" forstner bit at all the screw attachment points and glued the plugs in over the screw heads. So it ties in with the style and wood I used for the built-in bookcases/entertainment center, loft railings and trim.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh CARP!!!! I filled this new tiny tank with pond water, along with filter media and a few snips of plants from the pond. What better way to kick-start an eco system I thought... But this morning I spied something swimming in there that didn't act like insect larvae. So I got out the magnifying glass and confirmed my swimmer is a goldfish fry, and as I watched it, a SECOND one came into my glass view! Our new tank is already stocked, and I don't want to think about how many are in the pond! :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Watching these little fry tonight and I didn't even bother to turn on Jeopardy! I'm guessing they are about 3-4 days old. I don't see any sac left, and their mouths are working. I watched one of them eagerly attacking tiny critters on the glass, micro bites at a time, until it ate it all.

I couldn't get our good camera with macro filters to work in front of the aquarium glass, so I played with the point-n-shoot with the magnifying glass in front of it! While I was waiting for the fry to come out, I found an itty bitty baby snail! This little tank is just full of surprises! I had wanted to stock it with shrimp and tetras, but not sure what to do now...
FISHY.jpg

snail.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh CARP!!!! I filled this new tiny tank with pond water, along with filter media and a few snips of plants from the pond. What better way to kick-start an eco system I thought... But this morning I spied something swimming in there that didn't act like insect larvae. So I got out the magnifying glass and confirmed my swimmer is a goldfish fry, and as I watched it, a SECOND one came into my glass view! Our new tank is already stocked, and I don't want to think about how many are in the pond! :eek:
Outstanding! Someone once asked me if I ever bred fish and I said, "Sure, mostly by accident!" Way to go.

Ask a Question