Our new winter pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
TANK UPDATE: BABIES! As I was feeding the fish this morning I caught sight of a tiny little fishy fry! Then another, then another.... So I got the turkey baster and suctioned them up and put them in their own container. It will be interesting if they grow and develop, because I can't say for sure what they are! I did just get new plants at the end of last week, so its possible some eggs came in on them that survived rinsing. Or, maybe, just maybe, a CPD spawning finally survived, now that I have gravel substrate where the eggs can fall into protected nooks. I brought in some plant life from our water garden to add to their container, and have a science project growing on the window sill to develop some infusoria to feed them. So, it will be interesting to see what happens!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
plants.jpg

Well.... Ordered some anacharis and anubias nana petite, along with a couple other varieties, from Aquatic Arts, but unfortunately the rest of what they sent was garbage. So I ordered some plants elsewhere.... I ordered some bronze crypts, dwarf sag., a coffeefolia, and some anubias nana. The crypts were a bit dog eared, but the other plants looked good. Unfortunately, what was sent as anubias barteri NANA is actually just some MASSIVE anubias barteri . So they're in the tank just to keep them alive until my order gets sorted out.... So for now, I have this JUNGLE! Not exactly the look I was going for!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
FRY I.D. - I am now convinced that our fry aren't from the plant shipment... I was watching them yesterday, through the magnifying glass, and they behave EXACTLY like my celestial pearl danios. They chase each other and square off, circling each other and quivering, just like the adults! So weird, they're no bigger than slivers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sad day.... Last night I watched the three fry, active, and swarming to me for food (which I can't believe that they learned to associate me with food so quickly!). And this morning, I only found ONE baby in the tank! The arrangement is such that they can't jump out, and there is no filtration that would suck them up. I couldn't find the bodies either. I searched and searched with a headlamp and magnifier. Now I have one lone fry. :cry:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
....and this morning the last fry passed away. :cry: I think my mistake was using a plant from our outdoor water garden in their tank, and that there may have been aquatic parasites that did them in. When I found the body of the last one it looked like there was something attached to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I just feel like such a bad mom! I put that plant in there so they could have some cover, and to provide some micro goodies for them to eat until they were big enough to take other foods. **Sigh** So lesson learned the hard way. I think if I ever happen to spy and catch fry again (before their parents eat them!), that I will place them inside a breeder's net right inside their tank. So I can be assured of water quality with no parasites.

Ask a Question