Outdoor work today, who's keeping me company?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the beach only for the neat things that wash up on shore .Best time to go to AC is in the winter the sissy's up there won't go out there because it is cold ,but this sissy will go and love it .The treasures are worth it .I take a back pack and fill it a couple of times .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Until a storm comes in .My brother lives in Norfolk and they finally came and took the fish out of his swimming pool .Now his dog is unhappy ,he liked getting in the pool and chasing the fish around .Tommy sent some video's to me on facebook .It was funny to watch Charlie run around the pool chasing them and then jumping in .Tom said he was exhausted every day from it and would snore a storm up .Now he has to drain the pool of ocean water and get it refilled .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't live right on the coast, but sure do love to visit, camp, walk along it. we hit 76 today, just perfect.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow 9.5 hours that is a bit of time. Guess if you count grooming lilies, pulling plants, finding all the stuff put away last year, pulling pumps, installing breathers, my cumulative time is over a day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is usually less than a day for the pond but leaves that die back on banana plants take for ever .They never all die at one time and our weather is like a yoyo .Last couple of Christmas's here have been up in the 70 's .We ate Christmas dinner out on the porch of my sister's because it was so warm .It felt more like a picnic than Christmas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday I got in mine for the last time this year. trimmed back some dying vegetation, dropped the lilies, installed a sub-surface pump and pond breather. I'm amazed at how much is still green and growing, but I hope everything else I need to remove when it dies off will be near the edges and I don't have to put the chest waders back on. Actually that was not so bad (water around 65) except for when it came over the top while putting the lilies on the bottom.

I'm definitely noticing more bits of pond plants in the skimmer baskets these days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
As soon as this snow goes away, I have 1 last tree to plant, split some firewood, put the snowblower back on the tractor, pick the turnips and radishes that are still in the cold frame, empty the rain barrels and keep watching the sky for some warmer weather...:cautious:
Winter took me by surprise this year.:banghead:
I am jealous!!!!! I'm in Georgia and it is going to be close to 90 degrees this week. YUCK! I like watching Alaska The Last Frontier and other shows like that. I know it wouldn't be fun if a person HAD to do it, but there is something so fun and exciting about "getting ready" for a real winter.
There is NONE of that here. Winter means that you might actually have to wear a coat, rather than a lightweight jacket. Sometimes not even that. Poo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine is usually less than a day for the pond but leaves that die back on banana plants take for ever .They never all die at one time and our weather is like a yoyo .Last couple of Christmas's here have been up in the 70 's .We ate Christmas dinner out on the porch of my sister's because it was so warm .It felt more like a picnic than Christmas
Sissy - how do you feel about that? Do you like it? Or not? I stayed down in the south because of love -- and I'd go anywhere with my husband. He's worth the humidity and sweat. But when we have a mild winter it makes me super grumpy!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't mind it .I lived most of my life in NJ and wanted a little warmer weather .Bonus is there is family here and I get to work outside longer than I could in NJ .I miss my friends back there but not the traffic and cost of living .Here a traffic jam s more than 4 cars at a traffic light .Our hottest month is usually August here .I prefer that it snows like it does and then melts in a day or so .My taxes in NJ back in 2004 for an acre of land was 12 thousand a year and taxes here for 3 acres and a 2440 sq. ft house is only a thousand dollars a month .Bonus also for 2 cars and 3 drivers is only a little over 400 dollars a year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We like the off season, love the lack of people. I just love the ocean, nothing better than being near it.
I love being NEAR the ocean. It's so beautiful and I love walking the beach, looking for shells and other treasures. But being IN it? That scares the beejeebers out of me! I've seen too many shark week shows. And just the vastness of it is overwhelming. You have no way of knowing what's in there with you.
I don't mind it .I lived most of my life in NJ and wanted a little warmer weather .Bonus is there is family here and I get to work outside longer than I could in NJ .I miss my friends back there but not the traffic and cost of living .Here a traffic jam s more than 4 cars at a traffic light .Our hottest month is usually August here .I prefer that it snows like it does and then melts in a day or so .My taxes in NJ back in 2004 for an acre of land was 12 thousand a year and taxes here for 3 acres and a 2440 sq. ft house is only a thousand dollars a month .Bonus also for 2 cars and 3 drivers is only a little over 400 dollars a year
I'd love to get rural!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I am jealous!!!!! I'm in Georgia and it is going to be close to 90 degrees this week. YUCK! I like watching Alaska The Last Frontier and other shows like that. I know it wouldn't be fun if a person HAD to do it, but there is something so fun and exciting about "getting ready" for a real winter.
There is NONE of that here. Winter means that you might actually have to wear a coat, rather than a lightweight jacket. Sometimes not even that. Poo.

I wouldn't last long in a place that doesn't have 4 distinct seasons.
I always look forward to the changes.:)

Ask a Question