Parrots Feather winter Care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a relatively new addition of parrots feather, just floating in my pond. Not sure what to do with it in winter.

The pond is enclosed in a greenhouse type structure for winter so the water never freezes.

Do I need to pot the plants and leave them in the pond, bring them inside, or just leave them floating like they are?

Thanks for the help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some just floating, some roots in a bit of dirt. It looks horrible over winter then starts growing in the spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it in 6 different ponds, from large to small. 4 different varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks very much. I'll try not to worry about it then.

I didn't know it even came in that many varieties. No wonder you have so many ponds! You need then for all those plants you have.

Thanks again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some of mine, different varieties, in pots and some just floating. It grows very well in cat litter and then I take it out when it has massive roots and it just floats or I sometimes tie a big mass of it to the edge of my pond so it doesn't get blown around by the wind.

This one, a shorter stemmed variety is in a pot w/just kitty litter on my plant ledge. I may just leave it in the pot forever:

IMG_9774.JPG

This taller sprawling variety is in a pot also. That plant to the left edge next to it that sorta looks like it is Mare's tail tho. Parrots Feather is to the right of that:

IMG_9504.JPG

This next batch was in my bathtub pond, not the stuff hanging over the edge in the back right, that is some kind of Sedum. The Parrots Feather took over the whole tub so this Summer I removed it all and put it in my big pond and it was so heavy and had massive roots. I had to take sharp scissors to cut it in pieces and it all seems to be staying in the spots I have set it in so far. Will see if the wind will move it at all. If so I will tie it in place w/fishing line.

IMG_9645.JPG

Here is the two big batches I got out of that bathtub pond:

IMG_0391.JPG

Here is a photo of all of it in the different spots in my pond:

IMG_0392.JPG

I better watch this stuff tho as it may take over the whole big pond too!
I got all my Parrots Feather from @addy1 so thank you to her :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have some of mine, different varieties, in pots and some just floating. It grows very well in cat litter and then I take it out when it has massive roots and it just floats or I sometimes tie a big mass of it to the edge of my pond so it doesn't get blown around by the wind.

This one, a shorter stemmed variety is in a pot w/just kitty litter on my plant ledge. I may just leave it in the pot forever:

View attachment 154666

This taller sprawling variety is in a pot also. That plant to the left edge next to it that sorta looks like it is Mare's tail tho. Parrots Feather is to the right of that:

View attachment 154667

This next batch was in my bathtub pond, not the stuff hanging over the edge in the back right, that is some kind of Sedum. The Parrots Feather took over the whole tub so this Summer I removed it all and put it in my big pond and it was so heavy and had massive roots. I had to take sharp scissors to cut it in pieces and it all seems to be staying in the spots I have set it in so far. Will see if the wind will move it at all. If so I will tie it in place w/fishing line.

View attachment 154668

Here is the two big batches I got out of that bathtub pond:

View attachment 154669

Here is a photo of all of it in the different spots in my pond:

View attachment 154670

I better watch this stuff tho as it may take over the whole big pond too!
I got all my Parrots Feather from @addy1 so thank you to her :happy:
That's got to be the healthiest parrots feather I've ever seen j.w.! That sedum in the bathtub is really healthy looking too..Just beautiful!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @rubyduby it loves it wherever I seem to put it. Now I see it somehow got into my little duckweed pond under the bird feeders and I know it will take over and then no more duckweed unless I rescue some duckweed and put it in a big pot or something.

Ask a Question