PH too high

Reaction score
Is there a non-commercial product I can use to lower my PH? I'm broke from Christmas and my pond is about 3k gallons. I know muratic acid works for a pool, but don't think my goldfish would appreciate that...:)

Thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Is it over 8???
You can use muriatic, just put it in away from the fish in very small doses. If you are not above 8, don't worry too much about it. Mine usually runs about 7.8.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i only know of one person whos used muriatic acid to lower ph he put 1/8 cup in a 5 gal bucket and put the bucket by his waterfall with a real small hole drilled at the bottom edge so it would drip in and get mixed well. dont know how long it took or how many buckets to get it where he wanted it. but the slower the better. except MAYBE if your in a life or death situation... ph swings (changing too quickly) are deadlier than a high ph thats stable... and your bringing it down, so it could be a crash which is not good!

Reaction score
Well thanks, but I just checked it and ph is now at 6.8! Maybe it was low and my alzhiemers is kicking in!! Lol
Do I need to try to raise it? I have baking soda...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water comes from a well ph reads below 5, i.e. acidic, baking soda works great.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, baking soda will do just fine. It will take a lot for a pond.
I'm curious to know how it went from too high to too low in this short time? Is your test kit current? Do you use test strips?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
I agree, baking soda will do just fine. It will take a lot for a pond.
I'm curious to know how it went from too high to too low in this short time? Is your test kit current? Do you use test strips?

I think he was thinking his number meant high ph
I buy the large bags of baking soda at costco, have used around 10 lbs to get my pond straightened out.

Reaction score
Hi all. First off thanks for all the good advice!

Here's what happened...I have had problems with my pond all summer. It hasn't been really clear for a year now. I have little specs of algae (?) that float around in the water which makes it less than optimal. As the fish swim past the sides, the flecks just "peel" off and follow them. Same with the statuary, waterfall, etc. I used a ton of $$ in chems in the spring, didn't fix.
When the weather broke, I assumed it would get crystal clear again as it does every fall, but it didn't. So I checked the ph. I thought it maybe needed adjustment, but didn't have the money to spend. That was over a month ago, so I forgot if it was too high or too low.
I have a huge bag of baking soda (I have a pool). I can use it but need to figured out how much to use. ~2500 gallons.
Haven't added anything yet. Fish seem fine. Water is okay, just green flecks.

Thanks again!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't use any chemicals in my pond. You should consider cleaning it up first of all the debries and muck, then make sure you have good circulation and last a good bio filter. We have several here on the forum DIY section and more photos and information on my website.

Having 60% of the surface covered with floating plants and using a bio filter will eliminate the algae problem.

Almost everyone has to put up with string algae in the spring. This is actually good algae and will go away on it's own after 2-3 months. I control mine by pulling it out.

Time and a little effort is required to have have a clean, clear and PH balanced pond with happy healthy fish.

Reaction score
I agree with all you said there.

I use a pressurized filter with bio media, and I'm turning the water over ~ twice per hour. Aeration is via waterfall and fountain. Pons was great for first 5 years, then the last two I have had to pay more attention to it. But the algea flecks have always been bad in summer; I am in Florida panhandle and the pond gets sun almost all day. I know I need more shade...

So don't be concerned about my pH?

Also, (different subject, but while I've got you...) I have a bog that can accept plants. They do a great job of natual cleaning. I used iris and these other plants with purple flowers and white flowers. Anyway, they always overgrow. Are there less aggressive plants that people use in bogs for filtering?

Thank you.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Addy is our Bog expert. I find that everything grows fast in mine. It just requires a little more time to keep it in check,

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
radarcontact said:
I agree with all you said there.

I use a pressurized filter with bio media, and I'm turning the water over ~ twice per hour. Aeration is via waterfall and fountain. Pons was great for first 5 years, then the last two I have had to pay more attention to it. But the algea flecks have always been bad in summer; I am in Florida panhandle and the pond gets sun almost all day. I know I need more shade...

So don't be concerned about my pH?

Also, (different subject, but while I've got you...) I have a bog that can accept plants. They do a great job of natual cleaning. I used iris and these other plants with purple flowers and white flowers. Anyway, they always overgrow. Are there less aggressive plants that people use in bogs for filtering?

Thank you.

Thanks for the compliment dr dave........lol

My bog is new and big, but there are ways to control the plants. You can put the plants in an plastic plant pot with holes in it for water flow, this helps contain the roots. Some plants are considered invasive. I have iris but they are in pots in the pond.

Rushes grow quite well, they do have a good root system. I put lirope, different ornamental grasses, pitcher plants, lilies, and others.............
I let the plants grow for a season, then if they appear to be to aggressive they get "controlled" or yanked.

Just planted: the bog is around 28 feet x 6 feet.
DSC00322.jpg

Winter coming:
DSC00728.jpg

Here is a list of bog type plants, you can even grow veggies in one, like tomatoes.

Bog Plants Arrowhead
Assorted Taros
Bog Lily
Cannas
Chinese Water Chestnut
Creeping Jenny
Dwarf Horsetail
Dwarf Papyrus
Dwarf Variegated Sweetflag Giant Melon Sword
Japanese Iris
Lizard's Tail
Lousiana Iris
Pickerel Rush
Red Stemmed Sagittaria
Ribbon Grass
Ruby Creeper
Ruby Eye Arrowhead Sensitive Plant
Siberian Iris
Spider Lily
Spike Rush
Star Grass
Thalia
Variegated Spider Lily
White Bull Rush
Zebra Rush

Plants that are invasive in the Bog (Think Twice Before Planting)
Horsetail
Aquatic Mint
Chameleon Plant
Parrot's Feather
Red Stemmed Thalia
Cattails
Umbrella Palm
Yellow Iris

for your ph............6.8 is not too bad, but if you wish to raise it use around 0.8 lbs for the gallons you have. (taken off my huge bag of baking soda)

"ph less than 7.2 use 3-4 lbs per 10000 gallons
between 7.2-7.5 use 2 lbs per 10000 gallons.

Ask a Question