Planning my new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I don't know.
Here, we go by how deeply in the ground frost penetrates.
Are there any kind of statistics about your ground temperatures?
No idea about ground temperatures but I've found something on web if this could help-

"Wide variations in diurnal soil temperatures ranging from 28°C to 56°C at the surface and from 33°C to 37°C at 300 mm depth were observed at Jodhpur leading thereby to downward movement of moisture during the day-time (1400 h) and upward during the night- time (0400 h)."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
30 cm is not very deep. Depending on the makeup of the soil, that may offer little protection.
As a general rule, the deeper you can make your pond, the more it will be protected from above ground temperature extremes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I don't know how you folks manage in that heat.
Harshit, is air conditioning common in India?
And here we wonder how they manage in that freezing cold.
Actually humans learns to adapt themselves according to their surrounding so its normal.
AC's are not that common but Air coolers you can find almost anywhere, our first AC is 3 months old now. Hehe

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
And here we wonder how they manage in that freezing cold.
Actually humans learns to adapt themselves according to their surrounding so its normal.
AC's are not that common but Air coolers you can find almost anywhere, our first AC is 3 months old now. Hehe

I have always thought that managing in the cold is easier than managing in the heat.
Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always thought that managing in the cold is easier than managing in the heat.
Thanks.
Cold you can put clothes on, heat you have only so many to take off then run out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks..this could be a great idea. How about making it 3ft deep, and some extra floating plants for shade during summers?
Mine is 4.5 ft in depth and even then we get temperature rises the new pond remote thermomter ids reading [if I look to my right a moment] a temperature of 18.4c normally in the UK our water is between 15-16c , however we did record a temperature on the old remote of 22c last year , this year our summer has been a bit of a damp squid for much of mid July through to now .
Thinking Harshit do you get an annual Monsoon flooding where you live and if so how deep can it get, you may want to take this into consideration .
Here in the floods two winters ago there where many garden and koi ponds overwelmed by the amount of water , I believe alott of owners lost their koi and goldfish in those floods their fish were never seen again.
On the PFK website there was an article written that came with a photo of their patio/conservertory windows which the water was up against and in the outside flood water swimming by was a goldfish .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Mine is 4.5 ft in depth and even then we get temperature rises the new pond remote thermomter ids reading [if I look to my right a moment] a temperature of 18.4c normally in the UK our water is between 15-16c , however we did record a temperature on the old remote of 22c last year , this year our summer has been a bit of a damp squid for much of mid July through to now .
Thinking Harshit do you get an annual Monsoon flooding where you live and if so how deep can it get, you may want to take this into consideration .
Here in the floods two winters ago there where many garden and koi ponds overwelmed by the amount of water , I believe alott of owners lost their koi and goldfish in those floods their fish were never seen again.
On the PFK website there was an article written that came with a photo of their patio/conservertory windows which the water was up against and in the outside flood water swimming by was a goldfish .

Dave
Actually the climate in your region is too much better for gardening and water gardens, and am really jealous of you all, I wish I was born their :(

I never seen floods here, also are not so common in our state Rajasthan as its a desert region of India with very low average rainfall. Even if somehow it comes, our garden is already 3ft high from ground level so no problem.:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and i sure hope digging is easy for you because that to me is the hardest part of doing a pond .If you are doing your pond like that you could use a outdoor umbrella or shade sails or hoop house for over the pond .Shade sails would be great because it would give you a spot to sit in the shade to enjoy the pond also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Welcome and i sure hope digging is easy for you because that to me is the hardest part of doing a pond .If you are doing your pond like that you could use a outdoor umbrella or shade sails or hoop house for over the pond .Shade sails would be great because it would give you a spot to sit in the shade to enjoy the pond also
I thought the same that digging would be easier but no, the land is full of construction waste the pieces of various sandstones, bricks, tiles, granite, pvc pipe and many many other trash. Today I starting building my it, and till end of finishing the first ledge at 1ft it went so uneven due to those pieces taken out.
NKUteoi.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pond is half above ground and half below .I but i have clay soil so hard to dig but easy to pack in the concrete block layers to hold them in place and used rebar and then a few rows of retaining wall block on the outside .3 rows of block high and then sand outside that and then the retaining wall block outside that .layers .I had to rebuild it last year and put it in the showcase .I hate when builders bury there stuff on the property .I made sure mine didn't do that .Shame on them for not caring no matter when a house is built

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
my pond is half above ground and half below .I but i have clay soil so hard to dig but easy to pack in the concrete block layers to hold them in place and used rebar and then a few rows of retaining wall block on the outside .3 rows of block high and then sand outside that and then the retaining wall block outside that .layers .I had to rebuild it last year and put it in the showcase .I hate when builders bury there stuff on the property .I made sure mine didn't do that .Shame on them for not caring no matter when a house is built
Here also its clay soil, that dark brown/red one, but its aroud 5-6ft from the surface I'm digging. And I've heard its not good for plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I add sand to loosen it for my banana plants and other plants and added a mulch layer on top .The bananas do require more water and lots more fertilizer but they shade the pond .I have video's on you tube also after rebuilding it last year .They are under sissys pond .Have to say i love those block you have in the garden .They are fantastic looking

Attachments

• swings hammock stand pond 2015 059.JPG
    swings hammock stand pond 2015 059.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I add sand to loosen it for my banana plants and other plants and added a mulch layer on top .The bananas do require more water and lots more fertilizer but they shade the pond .I have video's on you tube also after rebuilding it last year .They are under sissys pond .Have to say i love those block you have in the garden .They are fantastic looking
Thanks..my dad put cements blocks there all around the lawn, but now I want to remove those three 2 at the top and other on the right side and put the sand extracted from pond there to make a waterfall coming from the bog filter.
After seeing yours, now I think I'm also interested to have a banana tree in my garden, it looks so healthy.

Ask a Question