Plants and parasites

Reaction score
Would love to here about different methods to treat new plants to prevent parasite from getting into the pond. I plan on getting some water hyacinths soon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I rinse the roots and clean them good with peroxide and water and then they go in a holding tank with miracle grow for a week at the very least .I never take chances with anything that goes in my pond .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would love to here about different methods to treat new plants to prevent parasite from getting into the pond. I plan on getting some water hyacinths soon.

Potassium Permanganate, KMnO4, can be used as a dip. It kills all organic matter and will kill most organisms if the plants are left in the proper length of time. As for the length of time and measurement, I'm not sure. It is caustic so gloves and eye protection along with not inhaling is important. I use it in my pond but the strength for a plant dip is much stronger. There must be a answer in Google and someone on here will probably know the strength as I haven't used it on plants in many years. I'm sure there are less caustic dips out there but I know this works. I'm sure where I stand to be corrected, someone will pick up on this.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Parasites usually make their way into a new pond via animals: Bird droppings, frogs, toads, etc. It is futile to even attempt to have a pond devoid of parasitic organisms. Maintain water quality and keep the fish healthy and stress free and problems will never present themselves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Parasites usually make their way into a new pond via animals: Bird droppings, frogs, toads, etc. It is futile to even attempt to have a pond devoid of parasitic organisms. Maintain water quality and keep the fish healthy and stress free and problems will never present themselves.

@Meyer Jordan ... Did you ever use KMnO4 as a dip. I did when I had aquatic plants before putting them in the pond but now I have no plants. I plan on picking up some water lettuce and water hyacinth. Would you use a dip?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan ... Did you ever use KMnO4 as a dip. I did when I had aquatic plants before putting them in the pond but now I have no plants. I plan on picking up some water lettuce and water hyacinth. Would you use a dip?

Honestly, I never did anything to plants before adding them to a pond. I always likened it to the kid putting his finger in the hole in the dike.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most parasites, pests are not going to last long without a host

A dip in a 3 gal bucket of water with a spoon of clorox will persuade most organisms to drop out, like the proverbial parrot

Two weeks in isolation will see what hatches out from egg capsules which the first dip did not get at, another clorox exposure will, persuade any other 'parrots' that hatched to demise

This would be being a tad fanatical however some may be picky about even a humble pond snail so much as daring to think about crossing your ponds threshold

Ask a Question