Plants for new pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just finished my pond and looking to put in the necessary plants to help the pond itself, as well as make it look nice. The pond is ~100-200 gallons and has two shelves next to 2 waterfalls. I currently have some grass plants sitting on each shelf, which you can see in the picture below - which I am not necessarily a huge fan. I am looking for something to go on the shelf (9" from water surface to shelf) that will add to the pond, not take away from the waterfall, and add some benefit to the pond eco system itself. Also trying to find out what other plants I really should have in there to help the pond eco system, but not cover the whole pond so you can't see some fish swimming around.

Pond-35.jpg

Reaction score
you can find some hardy water lily's that should last the winter, but the pond may be too small to support them, and you wouldn't be able to see much. Any floating plants you get will most likely die if you dont bring them inside for the winter. If you get some oxegenators (parrotfeather and anachoris may work well for you, and anachoris wont block much of the view ) make sure they are planted at the bottom so they last through the cold.

Reaction score
What about mini hardy water lillies? And if one was to buy these online, do you just buy one and let them grow/multiply or buy multiple. I have a small pond.

Reaction score
Houttuynia cordata variegeta, "Chameleon" would look good with your present plant colors. (Pix below) I'm not sure what zone in New York you are, but if you bury the Houttuynia pot in the ground for winter it should survive. Not likely to survive left in the pond.With a 9" shelf, you would probably want to stick with a bog or marginal plant. Nothing too tall in the front as you would want to complement your beautiful pond, not hide it' Do a google search on bog or marginal plants. You should be able to find some options.

Attachments

• Chameleon.gif
    Chameleon.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 382

Ask a Question