Plants in BOI filter

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Has any of you fellow ponders set up a boi filter with plants planted in the return flow?

I'm curious to know if it would be worth it to utilize one in my filtration for a 365 gallon pond.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I basically have a bio-pool that splits into 2 streams with multiple mini falls (about a foot high, 3 steps) and terminates at the pond with two 3 ft wide falls that are a 3 step drop of about 4 foot.

The actual bio-pool needs revamping. It has some dwarf cattails, arrowhead, and a thalia in it. I would like to add water lettuce and perhaps water hyacinth... but it is rather shaded.

The streams were so full of parrots feather... I had to pull some. According to Sam, he placed a very small amount in each stream just last spring! Invasive... oh yeah! But... it does seem to help with the filtration and truly IS lovely. From what I have heard... it is also practically Koi proof... one of the few plants they will not eat.

As I have a 13,000 gallon pond with a bead filter (granted, a large one)... I am assuming that a good portion of my bio filtration comes from that pool and streams. Seams to do the trick... for the most part. My water tests perfect and my pond is WAY overstocked (I plan to cull VERY soon).

Just 2 weeks ago, you could see almost 3 foot down in my pond. Then I cleaned out the neglected bio-pool. It had string algae, both living and rotting... leaves, rotting pinecones, etc. I should have just vacuumed it all out... but did not want to kill the salamanders and tadpoles! LOL

Now my water is full of "fines" from stirring up the muck, and slightly brownish green from all the tannins from the leaves and algae trying to use up the "food" I am sure I released by digging into all that silt.

In any case... I support natural bio filtration 100%. Even if only as a backup and great looking addition to a pond. If I can find out how to ship it... I will send you some parrots feather if you wish! I warn ya... watch it like a hawk! LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a 70 gallon skippy the surface area at the top of my filter is 32"x41" i filled it with hornwort and water hiacynths they get a steady flow of nutritious water across them so they flurish, and nab some of the nutrients before they hit the pond..so they are a veggie filter in a bio filter.
the hornwort started out as 2 small bundles(oxygenators) 4 or 5" long now cover 60% of the filters water surface, the rest is covered in water hiacynths.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Thanks Robyn for the offer. I have two starts of parret feather in two different pots, and they are about a foot across each.

My three small bull frogs hang around in the parrets feather, and they blend in so well.

I have drawn up several diagrams of a boi filters that I have seen, and would like to incorporate into the needs of my pond.

Thanks again for the input.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I like the undergravel fed plans they have at Foster & Smith.

Mine is an in & out. It comes in off a mini fall from the pump... travels to the opposite end of the pool... then splits off in the streams at the opposite end. Not as efficient from a filtration standpoint. I can put lava rock or a bale of hay in it though! LOL

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I was planning to put some plant into my filter as soon as I have it all going right. I wasn't sure what I wanted to use and I am going to have to make sure that I make something to keep the plants away from the drain grate because it is already almost using up all of its holes to drain and would surely overflow if it clogged. Because of that I am also wondering if I am pumping too much water into the filter and if it is going to be able to do its job right. I like how much water is coming out of it. If I should have less water flowing through my filter then I will just bypass some of the water around the filter and back in on the other side.
On a separate note: Oldmarine, it looks like your the closest person to me that I have seen on here. I live in Eugene, Or.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We just tore down our waterfall as we had a slope wash out with the last storm & dump a ton of sand into the pond. We are building a bog filter to replace it. 10' x 3'x 2' deep. Planning on using only pea gravel- 3200 lbs to be exact! Not sure how to set up the water return to the pond yet. Planning on pumping the pond water under the gravel bed with PVC. I'll post some pics as the construction gets started.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Quantum673 said:
I have water celery and hyacinth in the bio filter. Grows fast and looks nice.

throw in a bundle or 2 of a fine leafed oxygenator like hornwort too they actually filter some solids too and grow like theres no tomorrow. and really pull out nutrients. you have a large stock tank sippy right?

Ask a Question