Please recommend a dependable UV light clairifier.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Please recommend a dependable UV light clarifier.

I had used a P*M*T* 40 watt clarifier, but it's broken after a year (ballast & glasstube were broken). I don't want to repeat my mistake in buying another undependable one again. How's the Tetra Pond 36 watt UV Clarifier? I want some feedbacks before I buy it.

Tetra Pond 36 watt UV Clarifier

Reaction score
I have had great success with rainbow lifeguard UV systems. In my small pond I have a 9Watt one that comes as all in one package. I have also use their 15W, 25W and 40W units in reef aquariums. The larger units can also be used outdoors with a raintight cover for the ballast.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used a tetra pond for a few years..9 watter...worked great..but i broke the quartz glass sleeve. knocked it off a table...never replaced it!

Reaction score
I have had great success with rainbow lifeguard UV systems. In my small pond I have a 9Watt one that comes as all in one package. I have also use their 15W, 25W and 40W units in reef aquariums. The larger units can also be used outdoors with a raintight cover for the ballast.

Thanks. I googled and found out more about the Rainbow Lifeguard UV Systems. I'll wait for more recommendations from other ponders before I decide what to buy.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Be sure and check what the replacement cost on the bulbs are for the unit you choose. This is where the most cost factor will come into play. some units the replacement bulbs are very expensive where others are dirt cheap. I have a savio, the unit works good but a replacement bulb is $120-$150. A friend of mine runs a jebo and his replacement bulbs are about $15 shipped for twice as large a bulb. So as you can see if replacing the bulb once a year as recommended this could be very costly. Tetra is a good company, I have used the smaller unit in the past and was very pleased with it. One key secret to making ANY UV last longer, Protect it from getting hit or banged around and try to keep it out of direct sunlight if possible. Direct sunlight along with the UV rays penatrating from the inside make anything plastic brittle over a short time. And most UV light cases are made of plastic unless you get to the higher end units.

Reaction score
i used a tetra pond for a few years..9 watter...worked great..but i broke the quartz glass sleeve. knocked it off a table...never replaced it!
Thanks.

Be sure and check what the replacement cost on the bulbs are for the unit you choose. This is where the most cost factor will come into play. some units the replacement bulbs are very expensive where others are dirt cheap. I have a savio, the unit works good but a replacement bulb is $120-$150. A friend of mine runs a jebo and his replacement bulbs are about $15 shipped for twice as large a bulb. So as you can see if replacing the bulb once a year as recommended this could be very costly. Tetra is a good company, I have used the smaller unit in the past and was very pleased with it. One key secret to making ANY UV last longer, Protect it from getting hit or banged around and try to keep it out of direct sunlight if possible. Direct sunlight along with the UV rays penatrating from the inside make anything plastic brittle over a short time. And most UV light cases are made of plastic unless you get to the higher end units.

Thanks. I just checked on the price on the bulb...it's $47.29 If I decide to buy Tetra Pond 36 watt UV Clarifier, I'll pay the price of $47.29 annually for a crystal clear water in the pond :).

puvg1136_250.jpg

The $47.29 bulb of Tetra Pond 36 watt UV Clarifier

Reaction score
I am a aqua UV fan, had great luck with there products & their are built to last. I have a 8-10yr old 80w unit that has spent time on my saltwater tank & then the last year it's been on my rubbermaid 300g tub (temporary pond). They do cost more but excellent quality

I have a Emperor unit for the other pond which came with the filter system, no opinion on that yet

Reaction score
I am a aqua UV fan, had great luck with there products & their are built to last. I have a 8-10yr old 80w unit that has spent time on my saltwater tank & then the last year it's been on my rubbermaid 300g tub (temporary pond). They do cost more but excellent quality

I have a Emperor unit for the other pond which came with the filter system, no opinion on that yet

Thanks. The $350 40-watt clarifier looks impressive:

C460medium.jpg

Reaction score
they are great.... however.... the only issue with that style (I deal with it with my 80w) is that not only are the bulbs not cheap (similar to others, $50 ish) but due to it's length you pay oversized shipping, at least I did last time I ordered bulbs. The 57w from Aqua UV is a LOT smaller length wise (easier to hide) & bulb shipping is less. You pay $50 ish more when purchasing the UV & at retail/mailorder prices, it's $3 ish more then a 40w but shipping is less.

Kinda funny..... I was invited to a local koi club.... entered the $2 rafflle.... that asked the new guy (me) to pull out the winning number.... & I pulled out my number. I ended up winning a 57w Aqua UV, just sold it to my Aunt at Wholesale cost (Under $300) due to wanting a larger one for my 3000-3500g pond. After pulling my own number I had to join the club :)

I personally am not a fan of some of the products listed above. Friends/relatives have used them on their ponds/aquariums & they fail after a few years.

Reaction score
they are great.... however.... the only issue with that style (I deal with it with my 80w) is that not only are the bulbs not cheap (similar to others, $50 ish) but due to it's length you pay oversized shipping, at least I did last time I ordered bulbs. The 57w from Aqua UV is a LOT smaller length wise (easier to hide) & bulb shipping is less. You pay $50 ish more when purchasing the UV & at retail/mailorder prices, it's $3 ish more then a 40w but shipping is less.

Kinda funny..... I was invited to a local koi club.... entered the $2 rafflle.... that asked the new guy (me) to pull out the winning number.... & I pulled out my number. I ended up winning a 57w Aqua UV, just sold it to my Aunt at Wholesale cost (Under $300) due to wanting a larger one for my 3000-3500g pond. After pulling my own number I had to join the club :)

I personally am not a fan of some of the products listed above. Friends/relatives have used them on their ponds/aquariums & they fail after a few years.

Thanks again. I will wait for more recommendations from ponders before I choose to buy an Agua UV Clarifier. If your Clarifier has worked nearly a decade, it must be MUCH better than my P*m*t*r Clarifier (it had worked nearly a year).

Reaction score
My lifeguards have been running nonstop for more than a decade with no problems but the aquas are very good also. All I have heard of them is good things as well.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I too had just purchased an Aqua 80 watt unit. It is oversized for my pond but I'm also using it as a sterilizer. The pond place I bought from has the bulbs in stock so I don't need to worry about shipping costs. I had pea soup and it is crystal clear after about 5 days. Oh, my pond is roughly 5000 gallons.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I too had just purchased an Aqua 80 watt unit. It is oversized for my pond but I'm also using it as a sterilizer. The pond place I bought from has the bulbs in stock so I don't need to worry about shipping costs. I had pea soup and it is crystal clear after about 5 days. Oh, my pond is roughly 5000 gallons.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. I hope yours will last over a decade, just like Viggen's.

Reaction score
Hope this helps.

Thanks. I hope yours will last over a decade, just like Viggen's.

An update on Aqua Ultraviolet 57 Watt Aqua UV Sterilizer:

211Lg49KTML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't fall for an innocent mistake of mine. When ordering an Aqua Ultraviolet 57 Watt Aqua UV Sterilizer, make sure that you choose 1 of the 2 models that fits your pond hoses (i.e., 2" or 3/4").

Click the links to see examples:

Link to a 2" unit:
http://www.123ponds.com/a00057.html

Link to a 3/4" unit:
http://www.directaquarium.com/Aqua-...-p/10178.htm?gclid=CNL44fTUx6sCFUqK4AodyCoA0A

To correct my mistake, I have to buy additional PVC adaptors in order to hook up the clarifier into pond hoses:
11iMae8lhDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ask a Question