j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep bullfrog, see that big round circle near his eye? That tells you he's a bullfrog. Time to relocate if you don't want him eating your babies or birds etc.

B

Burd

392893D3-0CE8-466C-85F9-22CB9C040D2E.jpeg
D756E472-33E6-437C-8089-9980D1614A3A.jpeg
I was lighting the BBQ and I saw the 2 big ones in my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now I'm confuse too,lol! I think I did see that someone wrote awhile back that a certain frog had them too. Somebody needs to explain all this bullfrog vs frog stuff better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I watched to see what was up and realized a chipmunk had just caught and was killing and eating a frog! I saw him do it two more times the next day - WHO KNEW?!? I thought they were too busy digging up my garden and replanting my seeds to concern themselves with chasing and killing live prey! Nature is always surprising me!
I've seen Chipmunks inside birdhouses eating eggs AND baby birds:(
Now I'm confuse too,lol! I think I did see that someone wrote awhile back that a certain frog had them too. Somebody needs to explain all this bullfrog vs frog stuff better.
yeah please if anyone know a sure way to tell them apart, I'd love to learn it!
Bullfrogs have a ridge - it wraps around and under their "ear".
That's what I thought but the image @Burd posted looks like the ridges extend down the frog's back, at least to me it does

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's what I thought but the image @Burd posted looks like the ridges extend down the frog's back, at least to me it does
Burds are green frogs, they have the ridge down the back. Bull frogs have the ridge wrapping the ear. No ridge going down the back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love frogs. I have quite a few. Where I sit by the pond daily, they are pretty tame. If I walk around to the other side of the pond, they jump in the water and hide. The tadpoles take for cover, as soon as they see me. When they turn into a frog, they are completely fearless. I have to put my hand under water to get them off from me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I trust you, I will keep it! Thank you!

I've always loved frogs around my pond, until this year when the Bullfrog ate all the frogs and then went after my two smaller koi...now when I see a frog I freak out!
Bullfrogs are not indigenous to california and they dont want them released into the wild. They will eat all our native frogs, they are very aggressive eaters. My bullfrogs laid eggs, pond was filled with over a hundred big polywogs. When they grew legs and started to climb out of pond, the other 6 bullfrogs ate every single one of them. They ate the 150 tiny tree frogs i added to my yard as well. They can eat mice, snakes, koi & 1000 mosqiitos a day. Oh my!

Ask a Question