addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Long time ago I had some bull frogs, not sure what happened but they are no longer around. I did remove one big one it had jumped into a bucket and could not get out, took it to a nearby stream.

We have a lot of green frogs. My concern is they lay eggs in the bog, when I shut down the bog for the winter I chase the large tads to toss them into the big pond ow they die.
I did see one leopard frog once.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a green frog (they come in brown/bronze). As addy1 said, it has the ridges, which are not present in bullfrogs, even juveniles. You can breathe easy.
Yes! Finally a frog I can love!
smfrog'.gif

from the net

American Bullfrog has no pair of raised lines on its back - the so-called dorso-lateral ridges - that extend from behind the eye and top of the eardrum backwards along the outer edge of the back

Green Frog is the species most likely to be confused with a juvenile bullfrog. The Green Frog has ridges on either side of its back that extend from the back of the eye and top of the eardrum along the rim of the back. Fully grown green frogs are only about half the length of fully grown bullfrogs.
Thanks to you now I know what to look for, and never need to freak out and run to post pics!
I wonder why in all my research nothing this clear ever came up!
Thank you!
smfriends.gif

I love frogs around my pond. That said if I had a choice between a bullfrog and no frogs I would take no frogs everytime!
You and me both! Hubby relocated Bullfrogs and also some frogs we weren't sure about. We've been constantly on a look out for new frogs, I'm so tired of it, I'm glad at least now I know what to look for to determine if it's a keeper or a need to relocate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I lost several birds to bullfrogs this year. My lotus plant is right next to the birdfeeders! He also got over a dozen small koi I had put in there.
Very sorry! :(I guess it's safe to blame the Bullfrogs for the dead birds I've found in and around the pond.
The bullfrogs jump in before I get anywhere near them.
That's cause they know they're bad!
smlaughing4.gif

Long time ago I had some bull frogs, not sure what happened but they are no longer around. I did remove one big one it had jumped into a bucket and could not get out, took it to a nearby stream.

We have a lot of green frogs. My concern is they lay eggs in the bog, when I shut down the bog for the winter I chase the large tads to toss them into the big pond ow they die.
I did see one leopard frog once.
The bullfrogs that visit our pond don't stick around either, seems like they eat all the small frogs and whatever fish they can get (never knew this until this year), then move on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yeah my pond gets invaded by bullfrogs every year. I don’t bother capturing them because I know others will show up to take their place. Luckily most of my fish are now too big to be captured but it would be cool to see other small critters at my pond.

B

Burd

I put 5 frogs in my pond last year, I still see 3-4, they’ve look like yours in the pic.they don’t bother anything.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice you have a frog, @Gemma Love my frogs! Wonder how long a frog lives and do they keep growing till they die? Here is the latest photo of one of mine:

IMG_8680.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have no idea but I doubt they live very long in my pond, seems I go through times where I have frogs everywhere I look (now) and then out of the blue they all seem to disappear completely

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have SO MANY FROGS this year - I can count two or three dozen without even trying. I wonder if the ginormous mosquito explosion has anything to do with it? Because we have a gazillion billion of those, too!

Here's a new one for me - a big of a scuffle going on around the waterfall and into the garden that adjoins it caught my eye - I watched to see what was up and realized a chipmunk had just caught and was killing and eating a frog! I saw him do it two more times the next day - WHO KNEW?!? I thought they were too busy digging up my garden and replanting my seeds to concern themselves with chasing and killing live prey! Nature is always surprising me!

Reaction score
We had a bull frog for years in the back pond... coming and going a few times but getting giant this year. It always seemed to leave the fish alone... but I had to relocate it to a nearby office park pond because.... I came home one day and my wife immediately calls for me and says the bullfrog is eating a bird! So I run back there... and the frog had a juvenile robin halfway down it's mouth. Just some feathers and legs sticking out of it's mouth. It wasn't a fledgling either. It was almost completely feathered and had been poking around our yard for days on it's own.
The frog was jumping to the pond when the bird wiggled out. It had some blood under the wing but seemed okay besides that. I took it to the back of the yard and it fluttered under some garden plants. I saw it the next day flying a bit farther... so hopefully he made it. SO... I went out that night with the flashlight and netting the frog. If it's going after birds... my fish would be easy !

B

Burd

When it rains they come out. Not sure why they do that.

Last week my big one was heading out to the road, it was raining hard. I had to go out in the rain and shew him back in the pond. Lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm finding tree frogs everywhere right now. In the grass, in the leaves of plants, all over the place! I shewed the ones in the grass to garden spots for better safety :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok it's raining and I can't go out to get closer, and from my window I can't see if this frog has ridges ...does it? Is it a good frog?

frog4.jpg

Ask a Question