PNW Pond De-ice Help Needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
It will shock the fish. Same reason they tell you not to knock on an aquarium. Sound waves are bad for fish
I will stop, thank you for the info. Thankfully the areas around the waterfall and at the filter box inlet don't freeze over so they are probably getting enough air without breaking the ice or getting a de-icer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you need to open a hole in the ice, put a pan of hot water on the ice to melt it
ya got to delineate 'put the PAN of hot water on the ice to melt it' otherwise some peeps just pour it and go back in for another. Takes them forever this way, but fun for us to watch, ya know? :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And tie the pan somewhere so it does not sink or you will be scuba diving for the pan :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey pond-owners,

First of all happy new year 2022! The freezing weather recently hit PNW area with beautiful snow but also formed ice for my pond. I noticed several things happened to my pond:
  1. Water level reduce 20% about 5 inches
  2. One corner of the pond where I apply an air pump, forms ice; while the other corner helps prevent ice forming
  3. My kois seems sleeping well when I approached, and they start to swim when I left
Consider tonight is still going to be 15 F and ice will keep forming, I need help to decide:
  1. Can I add water to the pond to level up the water?
  2. I bought a de-icer just in case, but wonder in this situation do I need to use that?
  3. I noticed one koi is staying in the corner which is frozen, not sure how deep the ice is, should I break the ice and save the koi?
I attached the photos below! Thanks for any advice guys!
If it is above ground. I would place straw or hay bales around the pond. Use a horse trough heater for plastic tank. This will keep an air open for gas to escape. I would not run the water fall pump (disconnect and take in side). Sometimes ice will form and pump your water out of the pond when you don't see it. I have done this for over 20 years and no lose of fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I, too, am concerned about a pond this size with six koi... but that's a story for another day.

Remember folks - a "hole in the ice" doesn't need to be large.... AND if you're running a waterfall, you don't need a hole in the ice at all. Flowing water has a chance to off-gas as it gets dumped back into the pond.

I'd be more concerned about keeping the water level where it needs to be (more water volume will give those fish a better chance of surviving the winter - don't ask me how I know).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I, too, am concerned about a pond this size with six koi... but that's a story for another day.

Remember folks - a "hole in the ice" doesn't need to be large.... AND if you're running a waterfall, you don't need a hole in the ice at all. Flowing water has a chance to off-gas as it gets dumped back into the pond.

I'd be more concerned about keeping the water level where it needs to be (more water volume will give those fish a better chance of surviving the winter - don't ask me how I know).

nah, we're gonna bite on this one; hold on, let me get all the kids into their lil chairs and then you can begin the story...

okay, go;

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Slaming the ice with a hammer is not the best but unless the fish are right below you the first shot or two will startle the fish. The shock waves again right above them can be bad and could kill but unlikely. A cordless drill with a auger is a easy way to get a small opening. Stuff your air hose down through the hole and if you have enough air it will open the hole for you in a few hours. Or it will travel around the pond and open else where. Either way you accomplish what is needed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Slaming the ice with a hammer is not the best but unless the fish are right below you the first shot or two will startle the fish. The shock waves again right above them can be bad and could kill but unlikely. A cordless drill with a auger is a easy way to get a small opening. Stuff your air hose down through the hole and if you have enough air it will open the hole for you in a few hours. Or it will travel around the pond and open else where. Either way you accomplish what is needed

I get this picture; GB taking a sledge, hitting the ice, gettin' down on his knees, squinting through it, clucking his tongue and muttering 'nope, not dead; let's try again!' rinse, wash, repeat!

This the scientific method ya gots, big man??? heh heh

Ask a Question