Pond expansion/Reconstruction

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s finally spring weather in Western Massachusetts so I finally got outside to start. I’ve been itching.
Ripped out my small preformed pond to make room for a 3,000 gal pond to have a moat or connector to my existing 3,000 pond. Will keep updating as weekend work keeps happening.
847C9AA9-0579-4C7B-BD3C-6BE0204A9D96.jpeg
B083B4B1-D1CD-403A-9336-8F37A9D5F0BF.jpeg
E84677F0-72CC-4F3D-A45C-1B67669CFF85.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice, the smart way to dig....with a skid loader. it Will be a cool look with the pond wrapping around the patio.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished digging out the new pond and little road for the goldfish to swim back and forth between their ponds. This week I will drain the existing pond to the point where the goldfish have enough water for a few days and then move the stones and dry out the rubber to lay the new rubber and seam them together. Something I haven’t don’t before and am a little nervous to do I bought the 25’ seam kit so I have plenty of double side 5” tape and single side 6” tape. Just going to take my time and do it right so I don’t have leaks. Any tips would be appreciated!

C137DCEF-A130-48E4-91B1-8838E22CF744.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fiirst step is to get the rubber played out and onto a flat surface as possible. slipping a board under the seam area the length of the seam is best. I just use gasoline to clean the rubber but I believe they recommend alcohol.
using paper towels or shop towels anything that will not leave little behind clean the rubber removing all hints of dirts. using a nylon kitchen sponge or scotch guard scuff pad do a great job. I dont know what glue or primer you have but it sounds like you probably have rubber primer. Use the kitchen scuff pad to apply your primer to the rubber making little circles scrubbing lightly. Again not knowing what materials you have I would spread out your seam tape and apply in the same manner primer to one side of the tape. let these dry COMPLETELY it's a contact cement.once the tape is dry reroll the tape back up. The glue won't stick to the paper.it only sticks to other glued surface. line up your roll of tape and roll out slowly using one hand to control the roll and the other hand to press the tape down smoothing the tape as it touches the other glue . THERE IS NO FORGIVENESS. YOU WANT TO PRESS THE TAPE IN WITH NO AIR BUBLES AND KEEP THE TAPE ON THE PRIMER. its really not that hard. now you have the tape to one side flip the other rubber over and repeat the process. clean next piece of rubber . primer. let it dry . now this time you need help maybe two if the seam is long. roll the next rubber the long way sliding your hand fsourcing the rubber with no air to the tape. roll the seam with a wood or plastic 1" roller. making sure they are fully bonded. Take your caulking apply over the edge and smooth out with a ice cube making a nice smooth caulk joint. then repeat the process again with the single sided tape over the seam let dry and call that and your done ... cut off what ever you can spare 3 or 4 feet and give it a try get use to how the process works it's pretty easy.... go to you tube watch a video on rubber roofing same principles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to stop typing when I get home from these late night shifts Microsoft this time has me as played instead of a laided out and more

Reaction score
Country
United States
Drained the pond to let the liner dry out tonight. Tomorrow’s the day to seam the liners together. Wish me luck. Bough a extra gallon of liquid rubber to be safe.
BBA27683-E3E8-44E4-9196-DDE30D864468.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought the seam kit. But am going to coat the seam with liquid rubber for an extra step

Attachments

• 13CEAEB2-1784-465F-814A-63D83D2BBA36.jpeg
    13CEAEB2-1784-465F-814A-63D83D2BBA36.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
calling it liquid rubber in a can made me question what you had. I'm still at a loss as I have done alot of flat roofs with rubber but never saw liquid rubber used. the closest thing would have been a pitch pocket but we use bulked fitting on pond liners for penetrations . It looks like you have enough to do 10 seams. I would practice on some scraps before you go for the seam to your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when you start filling and I know you'll love this you can use the weight of the water to smooth out alot of thos wrinkles you definitely want to at least fold them over. those are areas sediment can get trapped and be a problem ..and that lout edge in foreground if you absolutely cant raise it then ii would fill in that spot a little or seam a piece into it

Ask a Question