Pond expansion/Reconstruction

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Problem with that plan is the builder will become the fish. and the fish will become the land lovers . but not so much

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is great! Lots of frogs and the fish are probably close 4” after the whole summer. Lost the pond to algae this summer though. It’s been green since June. Tried a new UV/pressure filter at the beginning of June and installed a skimmer last week finally but still isn’t doing anything. Tried algeacide and barley bales and oyster shells and nothing seemed to work.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Pond is great! Lots of frogs and the fish are probably close 4” after the whole summer. Lost the pond to algae this summer though. It’s been green since June. Tried a new UV/pressure filter at the beginning of June and installed a skimmer last week finally but still isn’t doing anything. Tried algeacide and barley bales and oyster shells and nothing seemed to work.
Yeah, Algae can be troublesome. I was able to overcome it just by getting a balanced pond but not with ought the help of UV at first. Glad to hear things are still good and going!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
After I added my bog, the pea soup green water disappeared within a week and never came back. I don't know if it's the bog itself, or all the extra plants....probably both.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After I added my bog, the pea soup green water disappeared within a week and never came back. I don't know if it's the bog itself, or all the extra plants....probably both.
I vote for bog filtration, I have never had green water or excess algae from the day I turned the pond and bog on. 10 years now

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

The pea soup disappearing is the plants, any murkiness from sediment or plant detritus disappearing is the bog itself, ime.

In all the years (roughly 25 years or so) I’ve had ponds. Only had a bog the last 10 -11 years on the pond I built after I moved. My first pond was around 5-6000 gallons but was heavily planted it never had an algae problem of any kind and was overstocked with large koi.
The current pond is also heavily planted in the pond and had an undersized bog until this past spring. It never had algae of any kind either but would get a bit murky as the fish became active during the summer months kicking up detritus and mulm into the water column could only see about 2’ down in a 4’ deep pond. Upgraded/enlarged the bog, the murkiness went away almost instantly. This was because the enlarged bog pretty much acts as a settling chamber for all the fines that kicked up into the water column. Either way the bog works extremely well in both capacity’s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Before adding the bog...

20200504_103352.jpg

After the new bog build...

20200708_151203.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you guys link me to your bog diagrams/builds?
Sure!
Here's a link to my my bog build earlier this year...

And addy's bog showcase which inspired me and many others...she's the bog "Queen"!...lots to read here...plenty of knowledge to take in...enjoy...

Ask a Question