Pond Filter NIGHTMARE

Reaction score
Hi im new on here and this is my first post.
i have attached two photos of my filter and i dont know what it is that im looking at lol, i know its a filter for the pond but what is the best thing i can do to it?
on the right there was a large bag of stones and then more plastic tubes on top and there is loads of black sludge.
what do i need to do to get it back up and running?
thanks Pete

Attachments

• IMG_11331.JPG
    IMG_11331.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_11341.JPG
    IMG_11341.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 363

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks like lava rock which I use .I think it looks like it has needed cleaning for awhile .Where is you pump and how big is the pond and how many fish and how deep is the pond and is this a filter and the only filter and is there a waterfall .Can't really see it well

Reaction score
I assume you inherited this pond?

It's a little difficult to give advice with so little info. Did you see the filter operating at one time? When you turn on the pump where does the water go? More pictures of the entire pond, location of the filter, etc., would help.

Reaction score
hi

the pump in in the centre of the pond inside a plastic netting enclosure to stop ingress of small objects, there was a uv filter but that is very badly corroded and needs repairing,
so the pump had a hose to the uv filter then to a down pipe in the right hand corner and it looks like there is some upside down guttering along the bottom with holes in that runs the length of the filter,
on the right there was the bag thats in the photo and then some plastic tubes, on the left there was plastic tubes and foam layered.
the outlet/waterfall is two square holes in the left chamber at the top.
the pond is around 12ftx8ft but as you can see it is a wierd shape and the depth is around 4-5ft in the centre

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_11371.JPG
    IMG_11371.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_11411.JPG
    IMG_11411.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_11391.JPG
    IMG_11391.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 346

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rock looks like pea gravel .I am guessing the pipe with the holes was allowing the water to go in and aerate it a litlle and spread the water out so it can go up through the rock .An up flow filter and then back into the pond .Is the basket the pump in clean or mucked up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think everything needs a good cleaning out and started back up .is the water fairly clear as it looks like it is .You can see a lot of examples of up flow filters on you tube and how they work .

Reaction score
its clean cause i have halled it out and got a new pump.
but do i need to clean all the filter out and the plastic tubesand get rid of all the silt and mud?
and do i need to clean it often once in use? and the gravel is little round balls around a marble sized.
sorry about the questions

Reaction score
yes its really clear we have had a month of rain and the water is crystal clear, a flow filter i shall have a look at that now thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That sounds like the bio media stuff clay balls and no you will only need to get the muck out and hose the balls off .I wonder if the tank has a bottom drain to clean the muck out .That's what most of them have .Lucky you the water is clear and sounds good to me .The clay ball media is not cheap and reusable after a good hose off

Reaction score
That sounds like the bio media stuff clay balls and no you will only need to get the muck out and hose the balls off .I wonder if the tank has a bottom drain to lean the muck out .That's what most of them have .Lucky you the water is clear and sounds good to me .The clay ball media is not cheap and reusable after a good hose off
i must have around 30 kg of balls as it was heavy lifting it out, so do i have a flow filter or a bio filter? as i have been looking at them,
so my plan of action is empty it all out so i have two chambers clean the balls and put them in the first chamber and then clean the tubes and replace those in the left handside and then it should work ,
you mentioned a drain i havent seen one in the garden anywere,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It would be on the tank some where and usually you can turn it on and the muck can be washed out the bottom and at the same time the filters are cleaned .That is how most do there 10 or 20% water changes .Clean the filters and and clean the muck from the bottom of the tank .It is usually some kind of valve you turn on the tank sides to clean it .Seems like who ever made this must surely have thought to do that also

Reaction score
it hasnt got a drain hole but once i empty it i will core a hole and then insert a drain pipe around 40mm with a walve on the end

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That will make it easier for you to clean it as that bag must be heavy as heck .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif
to our group! a good cleaning will get you going in the right direction.

Ask any questions, we love to help

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Haul all of the stuff out of the filter and let us take a look at the inside of it.
Do you know when the last time someone did maintenance on it?
How long have you had ownership of this pond?
How many fish are in it?

Ask a Question