Pond Foam

Reaction score
Never used to have foam on the water surface until last year. Since then the foam from the waterfall/creek stays on top of the water and as a result you cannot see into the water. In the mean time I had to do several 90% water changes since I had holes in the liner and of course always almost all the way at the bottom.
Now I finally build a LOW COST, LOW TECH, LOW everything foam barrier:
View attachment 43607 View attachment 43608

WORKS FOR ME :razz: :razz: :razz:

Reaction score
I love falls catch basins. Would never build a pond without one. And notice how still the surface of the pond is making fish view better.

You can scoop out the foam to remove the DOCs. Basically a Foam Fractionation Filter.

Reaction score
Yes it is an electric fence. Need it with all the coons, cats and other hungry neighborhood critters. And now a crane fished two koi out. They were 5 years old. It REALLY SUCKS.
Bought a Blue Heron fake. Hope that will help.

I scoop out the foam three to five times a day.
View attachment 43631

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you got your foam issue fixed. That would be a real pita to have, our hot tub gets it when it is time to clean, but my pond so far never has had foam.

I do keep a lot of water movement between the water fall and the aerators, but can still see the fish just fine.

Reaction score
Yes, a piece of UNTREATED wood which foats up and down with the water level (1x2).
Still looking for a more natural looking branch

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Be cautious with wood as it will most likely become water logged at some point and sink. So you may have to change it out more often.

Ask a Question