Pond fountain slab

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's the thing about ponds and evaporation - the variables are almost unlimited. For example - how big is your surface area? Is it humid? Windy? What's the temperature? Do you have plants? How many? How big is your waterfall? Lots of water splashing on rocks? So many factors can determine how much water you lose from your pond that it's almost impossible to compare one pond to another. Your biggest challenge will be to compare your pond to ITSELF. Learn what is normal for your pond - which just take some time. And rest assured that every new pond owner is convinced they have a leak at one time or another. Most turn out to be either a low edge somewhere or evaporation.

One thing you can do if you do suspect a leak is to turn the waterfall off and let the pond sit for 24 hours. If it's evaporation, you should still see the water go down. If it's in the waterfall (the plumbing or the actual falls) the water loss will stop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned the waterfall off 2 days ago and checked and there was no noticeable drop in 24 hours maybe a mm or so.

I believe the waterfall would cause a lot more evaporation tho as water splashes on side of rocks and eventually dries up. And it also falls around 80cm into the pond so it's got quite a drop to evaporate.

I'll just have to top the pond up often then.

Hopefully I've fixed the issue of it going behind the liner as it was dropping 3 inches a night before and now 1cm in 24 hours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds like you fixed the actual leak. Some water loss is indeed normal. Again - you'll learn what's normal for YOUR pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that you mention that I looked at my profile no clue why it has a Bolivia flag I'm in the UK it's been around 15c last two days and a bit cloudy so I shouldn't expect lots of evaporation.

Another question is how can I fertilise my pond as I've put plants in but the fish I want wont be in stock until November.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Now that you mention that I looked at my profile no clue why it has a Bolivia flag I'm in the UK it's been around 15c last two days and a bit cloudy so I shouldn't expect lots of evaporation.

Another question is how can I fertilise my pond as I've put plants in but the fish I want wont be in stock until November.

that's funny
click on our username at the upper right corner
then select Personal Details and change to the UK and any other details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There we go I've updated it.

Should i fertilise the pond or do you think I should be ok for a few months without? I didn't put much soil into the planters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With being on a budget I couldn't buy as many plants as I would like.

I managed to get only small plants so I need them to grow as fast as possible so I can start splitting them and filling in the pond.

In my bog I have two tiny horsetail that I'd like to grow tall and fill in the entire back of the bog, and I got 2 irises that I want to get large and fill out the entire front of the bog.

Then I have a few other bits and bobs but they are all tiny around the edge of the pond.

How long am I likely to be waiting for them to fill in and what can I do to speed it up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Get some stick or tablet fertilizer (you can use the kind designed for common houseplants or the specialty aquatic tabs) and stick them right in the pot with your plants.

Did you get plants that are hardy to your zone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah all the plants are hardy to my zone.

Is there any type of fertiliser I can just put straight into the water?

Some of the pots I've put really deep I don't want to have to go for a swim to get them

Ask a Question