Pond fountain slab

Jhn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
Any idea what kind of rock I could use?
There's not much space there for big slabs
Would the rock raise the level of the overflow even more?
Hard to tell how much space you have from pic. You would in all likelihood need to move the statue. I would try some squared off pieces of cobble, kind of like what you already have mortared in there.

Also, edited last post with an added idea.

Reaction score
Country
Hard to tell how much space you have from pic. You would in all likelihood need to move the statue. I would try some squared off pieces of cobble, kind of like what you already have mortared in there.

Also, edited last post with an added idea.
What you said gave me an idea.

Do you think I could put a bead of silicone all the way around the ridge of the slab that's under the liner, make it a really thick ridge that the water would have to wick over would be ridge not be too high for the water to wick over?

Bad drawing but sort of like that?

Would water still be able to wick over that?

Attachments

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I glued thin small rocks to my water fall rock (deck one) to direct the flow the way I wanted it to go.

Reaction score
Country
I glued thin small rocks to my water fall rock (deck one) to direct the flow the way I wanted it to go.
The liner I have though is polyethylene and no glue will stick to it unfortunately. Can't believe when I bought it something as major as that wasn't on the description.
I have to rely on mechanical holds like wieght holding it down etc.

I'll try and create a large silicone ridge under the liner tonight and see how that goes

Reaction score
I see where you're going with your silicone ridge idea. It's worth a try... but unless your liner can extend up and over that ridge for a ways down the slab, I think you're still going to lose water under the liner. Do you have more liner? Can you replace the liner in the pooling area so you have more to work with?

And I think you've hit on the reason why @Mmathis was curious about what kind of liner you used.

Reaction score
Country
I've got a bit more liner but i folded it under the gravel I'll try and pull some out tonight when I get in.

Really lost as to what I can do, really can't be buying more liner and I want this pond finishing this year

Reaction score
Country
Measured today after refilling and it's dropped by 3cm in 6 hours.

That isn't normal is it? There's definitely a leak?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
@Steve2324 I had a problem with water wicking back under the liner in my waterfall/spout. The only thing I could do to get it to stop was to spray the rubberized leak seal spray where the liner and the spout meet. I sprayed it fairly thick and let it dry for 24 hours as directed before I turned the pump back on.

Reaction score
Country
@Steve2324 I had a problem with water wicking back under the liner in my waterfall/spout. The only thing I could do to get it to stop was to spray the rubberized leak seal spray where the liner and the spout meet. I sprayed it fairly thick and let it dry for 24 hours as directed before I turned the pump back on.
I managed to use gold label and then ironed the liner to the slab so it melted to the gold label/ slab and it seems to be holding.

Ive lost around 1cm of water in 24 hours now.

Does that seem about normal?
Due to the size of my pond 4m x 1m approximately curved and irregular shape makes it impossible to work out properly which means I've lost about 40l in a day.

Is that normal evaporation?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I can easily lose a inch a day when it is sunny and hot. Sometimes even more.

Reaction score
Here's the thing about ponds and evaporation - the variables are almost unlimited. For example - how big is your surface area? Is it humid? Windy? What's the temperature? Do you have plants? How many? How big is your waterfall? Lots of water splashing on rocks? So many factors can determine how much water you lose from your pond that it's almost impossible to compare one pond to another. Your biggest challenge will be to compare your pond to ITSELF. Learn what is normal for your pond - which just take some time. And rest assured that every new pond owner is convinced they have a leak at one time or another. Most turn out to be either a low edge somewhere or evaporation.

One thing you can do if you do suspect a leak is to turn the waterfall off and let the pond sit for 24 hours. If it's evaporation, you should still see the water go down. If it's in the waterfall (the plumbing or the actual falls) the water loss will stop.

Reaction score
Country
I turned the waterfall off 2 days ago and checked and there was no noticeable drop in 24 hours maybe a mm or so.

I believe the waterfall would cause a lot more evaporation tho as water splashes on side of rocks and eventually dries up. And it also falls around 80cm into the pond so it's got quite a drop to evaporate.

I'll just have to top the pond up often then.

Hopefully I've fixed the issue of it going behind the liner as it was dropping 3 inches a night before and now 1cm in 24 hours.

Reaction score
Sounds like you fixed the actual leak. Some water loss is indeed normal. Again - you'll learn what's normal for YOUR pond.

Reaction score
Country
Now that you mention that I looked at my profile no clue why it has a Bolivia flag I'm in the UK it's been around 15c last two days and a bit cloudy so I shouldn't expect lots of evaporation.

Another question is how can I fertilise my pond as I've put plants in but the fish I want wont be in stock until November.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Now that you mention that I looked at my profile no clue why it has a Bolivia flag I'm in the UK it's been around 15c last two days and a bit cloudy so I shouldn't expect lots of evaporation.

Another question is how can I fertilise my pond as I've put plants in but the fish I want wont be in stock until November.
that's funny
click on our username at the upper right corner
then select Personal Details and change to the UK and any other details

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
You moved and didn’t tell yourself, LOL!

Reaction score
Country
There we go I've updated it.

Should i fertilise the pond or do you think I should be ok for a few months without? I didn't put much soil into the planters

Reaction score
Country
With being on a budget I couldn't buy as many plants as I would like.

I managed to get only small plants so I need them to grow as fast as possible so I can start splitting them and filling in the pond.

In my bog I have two tiny horsetail that I'd like to grow tall and fill in the entire back of the bog, and I got 2 irises that I want to get large and fill out the entire front of the bog.

Then I have a few other bits and bobs but they are all tiny around the edge of the pond.

How long am I likely to be waiting for them to fill in and what can I do to speed it up?

Reaction score
Get some stick or tablet fertilizer (you can use the kind designed for common houseplants or the specialty aquatic tabs) and stick them right in the pot with your plants.

Did you get plants that are hardy to your zone?

Ask a Question