Pond fountain slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Steve2324 Turning off the pumps in winter has a lot to do with your climate. My winters (Southern US) are very mild and ponds don’t freeze. I leave mine going 24/7/365.
I think the pond pump would probably prevent my water from freezing? Wouldn't constant circulation of water help it stop freezing? We get to -5c maybe one day a year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another quick question for you guys on this forum.

Do you think lily bulbs planted along the edge of my liner will send out roots that will puncture the liner? Or will the roots just curl around the liner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Steve2324 I run my waterfall all winter long and we have many many days well below 0F here in the midwestern US. But a key to whether or not your waterfall can stay on during freezing weather is the construction. Even running water can freeze along the top and edges and the ice that forms can create dams that redirect the water out of the pond. The only way to really know if it will work is to try it and see what happens. But be prepared to shut it down if it looks like you are going have an issue with ice.

As for plants along the liner - they will not puncture the liner, but they can force the liner down and allow water to flow over the edge. Again - watch your pond as things develop and you will learn what may cause you issues down the road.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Steve2324 I run my waterfall all winter long and we have many many days well below 0F here in the midwestern US. But a key to whether or not your waterfall can stay on during freezing weather is the construction. Even running water can freeze along the top and edges and the ice that forms can create dams that redirect the water out of the pond. The only way to really know if it will work is to try it and see what happens. But be prepared to shut it down if it looks like you are going have an issue with ice.

As for plants along the liner - they will not puncture the liner, but they can force the liner down and allow water to flow over the edge. Again - watch your pond as things develop and you will learn what may cause you issues down the road.
That's reassuring then I've planted all the bulbs today for the lillies.

I've tested the fountain and it so loud! Next door will definitely be complaining about that.

Can anyone tell me if I add a 40mm tee to the outlet of the pump would that reduce the flow by exactly half or would a lot of the water go straight out of the tee and reducing it by a lot more than half?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When you say "fountain" do you mean the waterfall? Or the pump?

I don't know a lot about plumbing, but a tee sounds like you'd be directing water elsewhere? I think it's more common to slow the flow from a pump with a ball valve so you can turn it up or down to make adjustments, if that's your goal.

I think I understand your liner issue better now - you're talking about the liner in the pool behind the waterfall slab and adhering that to the lip of the pool where the water flows over the edge. I don't really have any great ideas for that. Technically, the liner should be under the slab and extend down the wall of the pond. Will your whole pond be lined?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the whole pond is lined. I thought ball valves caused problems with pumps I can get one if that's what I needed.

The whole pond is lined. Here's a picture of it all working the way I wants it's just the unsightly liner I'm trying to figure out how to hide now.

The waterfall is getting quieter as the pond fills as it falls less of a distance so maybe I won't need to reduce the flow by the time it's full

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to suggest that you can change the sound of the waterfall by how it hits the surface - sounds like you figured that one out!

You are going to have a challenge hiding that liner... I'm not sure how high your water level will be when it's full. Maybe you could do like a capstone on the top that overhangs and hides the liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a budget for this pond unfortunately wife not happy with me spending so much as I had to go for the cheapest liner I could find.

I didn't realise until after I had bought it that no glue actually sticks to this liner due to it being made of polyethylene.

I'm hoping creeping Jenny that I will plant will creep all over the liner from all directions in the waterfall so that it hides the liner.

The pond will be full all the way to where the black liner stops on the wall of the waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Missed the question about fountain yes sorry when I keep saying fountain I meant the waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have corrugated pond hose leading to the waterfall.

To reduce to flow slightly do you think it would be possible to prick some small holes in the hose under the water level so some of the water returns to the pond before the waterfall or would the small holes eventually tear under pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We freeze up here and my pump is external. So I turn it off.
Ok hopefully I will be alright as the water shouldn't freeze.

Right guys I'm sorry I feel like I'm asking a million questions I've figured out the flow issue I've ordered some ball valves to add onto the access pipe under the gravel.

My next question ...
Is there such a thing as a check valve that will stop back flow into the pond if my electric was to go off, but also a switch to allow backflow if and when I wanted it?

I was thinking I could backflow the gravel if it ever got blocked and dump it on a grow bed.

I've found some check valves but non seem to have the option to allow the flow when I choose to backflow

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as a check valve that will stop back flow into the pond if my electric was to go off, but also a switch to allow backflow if and when I wanted it?
Add a T, one leg the check valve, one leg a open pipe with a ball valve that you can open if you want to back flow.

Ask a Question