Pond has to go - need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all - had our pond 10 years - it's big 7m x 3m and has lots of fish and some frogs. But I'm not in good health and my problems are long term, I am no long able to maintain the pond and am losing fish regularly. With great sadness the pond has to go. Has anyone any tips on the best way to go about this - we obviously have to rehome the fish or maybe get a freestanding much smaller pond ?
How do I fill in the pond - I've been told it will smell for years! I was thinking if laying a patio over the top but I'm not sure this is doable?
Has anyone embarked on such a venture and do you have any tips. I know it's sad the pond has to go but I can't bear to see a badly maintained pond and poorly fish. I'm spending a small fortune on trying to get it right but I'm in and out of hospital and I just can't do it anymore,

Any tips please?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pond after filled in should not smell .Is it a concrete pond as that will hold water and will need to be broke up to allow water to seep out .Sorry to hear about your health and hope that improves .A garden center may know people who want your fish and putting ads up for free fish may help also .There are also ponders on here from your area that may know more places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you sissy - no it's a liner and in fsirness has served us well but it's 11 years old now so I'm thinking just drain the pond, clear the sludge, puncture the liner maybe to get rid of excess moisture, then put all the debris from the waterfall etc into the hole and fill with concrete! Sounds simple but I'm sure there are many problems I'm not factoring in. For one the amount of concrete required, plus how long does that need to settle before stabbing it, alternative is decking but then levels would be an issue. Plus I need someone to do the work and I know that's not going to be cheap. But needs must.
There was a time I could do everything in the garden but now I'm very limited . I live in Carmarthenshire in Wales if there are any one people out there interested in any fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree take the whole liner out .Sometimes just putting holes in it does not allow it to drain properly .It should come out easy and maybe if the liner does not leak you can do a trade with some one to fill the hole with dirt in trade for fish and liner .Both people win .Put ads in local papers and post s up in garden centers .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your replies.
big Lou - taking the liner up is an option but I'm just thinking about the extra work that wil involve, as it will need to be cut up presumably and then disposed of. Is there any hard in leaving it in situ? What would be your alternative plan?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Thanks for your replies.
big Lou - taking the liner up is an option but I'm just thinking about the extra work that wil involve, as it will need to be cut up presumably and then disposed of. Is there any hard in leaving it in situ? What would be your alternative plan?
Since taking the liner out is an option then do so because it is less expensive and ensures all future rain water drains.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Place an ad stating free pond liner and underlayement (if there is any) you remove. Pond liner is expensive and yours would be nice size. If j5 has underlayment they woukd really be getting a bargain. Sheet rubber is also very useful for other things like roofing .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wouldn't be selling it . Besides that it's probably fine. All my neighbors ponds are almost 20 years old . I would have snapped up a deal like that when I was looking to build my pond.

Ask a Question