pond help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad it's helping.

If you're going to put hyacinths IN the bog, you have to be careful that they don't multiply such that the water can't actually get up through the gravel. It will begin to channel then along the back and edges to escape and might over flow your bog structure. Ideally, the hyacinth would be better IN the pond, directly in contact with the water column, fighting the free-floating algae for nutrients. If you fear your fish will eat the roots, consider the floating nets I hinted at earlier.
For your bog, go to the grocery store and just get some water cress and plant it in your bog; it will flourish and quickly.

And were it me, I'd add some outlets for your bog to pour into your pond from the length, and not just at the end. I feel you might get too much surface algae on your bog and/or a water level rise that might overpour your bog structure. By giving more outlets, you reduce this possibility as well as add much to your aeration (which is good when battling algae and great for the fish). My bog has a 'long wall' and I've created multiple places for it to pour back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can i please see some pics of yours?
short vid of the pond; my bog v1 is in the first frame to the right and bog v2 is in the center by the geese. I have the water exiting the bog v2 over the ledgerock wall.

if you want pics of how I built my bog, refer to this thread, reply #19

;

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like jhn said dumping water on top does little. and the size of the bog even if done correctly is way undersized now if you had that size "TRUE bog for 3 or 4 years with a lotus EXPLODING out of your bog that may do the trick but i would plan on trippling the size of the bog you have now if not more. if you want to swim in clear water you realyneed to step it up

Reaction score
Country
United States
A temporary help until you have enough plants and address the bog, is to place some batting in your skimmer or around your pump. It will catch a lot of the green stuff (algae) and help start to reduce the amount if you wash off the batting every couple of days. Again this should not be your long term solution but will help you enjoy your pond more.

Ask a Question