addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I may have some of that and am going to stick it in the pond somewhere and see how it does. I think mine is variegated tho. It might be something else tho. It got all brown so I trimmed it way back and will see if it grows back better. Maybe it doesn't like it in regular dirt that dries out as it was turning brown on top.
What I read is it likes wet feet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I was reading that also but I just went out and scrunched up a bit of it to smell it and see if it did smell sweet but no it does not have any smell so I must have something different. Maybe I have some kind of sedge or is sweet flag a sedge too?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope mine don't look anything like those. I'll get a pic of the part I didn't chop off and post tomorrow. It doesn't get those seed things either and no smell at all like I said.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I added a small pot with some lava rock, cut up pool noodles to my deck pond. The pump does 325 gallons per hour, basic tetra pond pump. The deck pond does not circulate except when the stream is running, which is on a timer.
With this add, the algae build up has gone away. There are two black gf in there that got there, probably as eggs, managed to survive being frozen over winter and two green frogs, snails and the normal pond critters.

All I did was tip it slightly so the water spilled over one edge, it is in the pond. The water flows between the two parts of the pond. There is even a fish in the 10 inch deep pond, no clue how it survived this winter.

I used a old piece of garden hose to bring the water from the pump to the pot, total investment, around 50 bucks. (Bought a matala filter for the pump, that was the highest cost)

Capture4.JPG
DSC07174.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I probably should have removed more, but with the new ponds we have spread them out, made the floating lily squares to give them more room.

Two of my lilies, carry their blooms above the water by 5-6 inches, two others the flowers float. One makes a great cluster of flowers, usually 5-6 above water at one time, very nice pink.

My goodness those lillies are fantastic! how did you get them to spread across so well?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goodness those lillies are fantastic! how did you get them to spread across so well?
I just stick them in kitty litter, a little osmocote under the clay. They grow great, this year they are slowly slowly taking off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I have at least one GA Peach in Goldfish pond, plus others (one is the deep beautiful pink from you, too), and those all have very large leaves and are blooming nicely. But, in the koi pond, all the plants have tiny pads, blooming but also tiny flowers. Going to fertilize only the koi plants tomorrow. I think that goldfish pond with the very large bog is working wonderfully in all respects!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat, all of mine are now starting to bloom, I have a few that still are on the small leaf size, the others going crazy.

knock out roses doing a beautiful bloom this year
DSC07182.JPG

DSC07175.JPG

The pond iris are out in force, three herons flew over today, thankfully the net works to discourage them.
DSC07181.JPG

DSC07179.JPG

iris in the bog

DSC07180.JPG

DSC07178.JPG
DSC07177.JPG
DSC07176.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So pretty addy :)
Is the yellow flower a Honey Suckle?
I want to put up some kind of arbor or trellis of some sort and get some kind of Honey Suckle. I think the hummers would really be attracted to it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So pretty addy :)
Is the yellow flower a Honey Suckle?
I want to put up some kind of arbor or trellis of some sort and get some kind of Honey Suckle. I think the hummers would really be attracted to it.

No clue jw, It is a bulb type plant that is in a shaded area, can not find my info on it. Comes up every year gives me pretty flowers then it is sort of done until the next year. Except for some pretty leaves

We have honeysuckle surrounding our yard, it is everywhere, mixed in with poison ivy. I planted some nice orange honeysuckle, real pretty flowers. Will get a pic of it for you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I'd say you are right michey! I've had Columbine here several years ago and then it just dwindled away. They liked some shade and no hot afternoon sun. I know that they will cross pollinate and new colors will emerge so if you want that same color you will need to keep it away from others w/ different colors. Guess the Hummers like them too.

Oh no addy, your Honey Suckle is mixed in w/ that awful poison ivy that gets you every once in awhile. My neighbor has some Honeysuckle growing up her trellis and the bees and Hummers just love it!

Ask a Question