pond in frederick, md

Reaction score
Beautiful columbine addy, I haven't had luck with them at this house JW, I'm gonna have to look into what they need as far as neutrients, because people are trying to give them to me and I've been passing do to not having luck with them. Anyone know if they are heavy feeders?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Beautiful Columbine, Addy! I have a dark burgandy/white one that has really grown in size, about triple what it was 3 seasons ago (2 years) when I planted it. It had probably 50 or more flowers on it, and it's only about 2' in diameter. Then there is another Columbine next to it, that looks like a weeny in comparison, has pretty yellow/pink flowers, and seems to be the parent plant that is spreading, I think by seeds, as plants may be 5' away, but barely any flowers in comparison. I don't mean to invade on your post, Addy, but here are pics taken the second week of May. I have both of these in pretty much full sun, although shaded from west by cone flowers now, so I guess the hot summer sun won't cook them.
Columbine.JPG
Lots of columbine flowers .JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are not invading, anybody can post here about anything. I am recovering from getting stung on my ankle, po'd the girls today. The other stings were nothing, this one has my ankle swollen which makes it painful to walk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh man, hate to hear that! Was it one of the bees, defending the hive, or something else, or do you even know? Sorry to hear that, but I know it won't keep you down for long. Hope the swelling goes down sooner rather than later, and the pain level along with it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sigh...........I love nature, nature does not always like me...................

I was mowing three days ago, something stung my left hand, not a bee, no stinger left in. The swelling just went down.
The next day one of the bees stung my back, my fault out there without the jacket on, ALWAYS have the face netting on.
Then the next day, we had to inspect all three hives, bees flying everywhere. Not mad bees, but bees, One fell on shoe got caught under the folds of my bee suit and felt in danger so stung my ankle. I had bees all over my hands no stinging going on, but one got in the palm of my right hand without me knowing, I closed my hand to use the tool and squished the little girl, so of course she stung me, that one no bad pain or swelling.

Ankle lots better, just itches. Bee stings are nothing compared to wasps, they go away fast. And supposed to be good for arthritis and all sorts of ails, so maybe I am getting healthier getting stung! We do have an epi pen for an in case emergency.

Our one hive acted like it was going to swarm, flew out flew back in thousands of bees, made a big ball in a tree. No clue if they will still swarm or not. Called growing the population lol, but once they swarm if you don't catch the swarm they usually don't survive our winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

That ball of bees would be neat to see swarming! At least these bees don't leave you in pain and swelling up like those yellow jackets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So, Addy, explain what you mean about them swarming, and if you don't catch them they won't survive winter. I once saw a swarm of bees like you're talking, landed in a small sapling tree, and it was like bigger than a basketball of bees, early spring day. Called someone, and a bee catcher came and caught them. I thought I remember hearing that the bees swarm around the queen, to keep her safe and warm. Is that correct? Tell us more! I'm always intrigued to hear about this type of thing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is our swarm, which go figure, swarmed back into the hive, which should not happen The bees were gathering on the tree trunk. All the blurred brown things were bees flying around our heads.

They gorge themselves with honey, stores for the work of finding a new home. So they are almost drunk on honey, if you can actually reach in bare handed and move them. But you must get the queen.

We were ready to collect the swarm and the crazy bees flew back into the hive, which does not happen. So we took the hive apart, bees were confused and a little irritated, there I got stung a little. We removed swarm cells, i.e. queens waiting to be born, to take over for the queen leaving, doing this MIGHT have stopped the swarm, we don't know. So far they are still in the original hive.

They swarm as a natural process to make more bee hives, population explosion. BUT now that we have america foulbrood, bacterial disease, kills the colony, nosema, protozoan disease, kills the hive in the spring, varroa mites, from asia, sucks the fluid out of the bees, tracheal mites, from asia, wax moths, small hive beetles from africa, the honey bee has a hard time living in the wild with out people help. And here, our nectar season is short, the bees have issues getting strong enough to fight these diseases/bugs.

If you see a swarm, it is very valuable call the bee keepers in your area, they will gladly come and get it, if possible.

They say learning keeps the brain young, mine must be the age of a 10 year old now.................lots of learning going on...............

Capture.JPG
DSC07195.JPG
DSC07198.JPG

here they are leaving the hive

DSC07203.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are so wet this year, veg garden not doing poop, but everything else growing great!

Some photos of the yard and pond

These were 0.50 cent plants from lowes two years ago.

DSC07220.JPG
DSC07219.JPG
DSC07218.JPG
DSC07215.JPG

And the lilies are finally blooming.

DSC07211.JPG
DSC07210.JPG
DSC07209.JPG
DSC07208.JPG
DSC07207.JPG

The lotus are finally growing no buds yet

DSC07212.JPG

This is the path along the stream, to the house. The day lilies and other flowers blooming like crazy.

DSC07213.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks addy for sharing that info on the swarming bees. Very interesting and wonder what the bee experts have to say about your bees swarming back to their hive. You should put all that you posted up above in your bzzzzzzzzzzzz thread too if you haven't already. I am really enjoying learning about them. They sure have a lot going against them now w/ all the diseases out there etc. Hope you guys can make a go of it in the long run. It sounds like it is really a challenge.

Love seeing all your gorgeous blooming flowers now. And you have the water lilies too now in bloom. You put yours back into the kitty litter w/fert now right? Do you still have some bare root?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few bare root, they are just getting going, a few leaves, no blooms

I should post it in the bee thread........laters maybe lol

Ask a Question