addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everything in my yard is full sun, even this moss. We have minimal shade. The pond(s), stream, all face south. The only shade that hits is the one maple tree to the south of the bog, during summer it has sun rotation shade. So instead of all sun gets a break as the sun moves. But still around 7 hours of sun..............pure guess lol.
The stuff in the picture has nothing but sun. It was there last summer too. The neat stalks caught my eye as I was wandering around the pond spotting frogs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My deck pond little pot, sort of filter, fell apart. So I built a new one, using some of mrsclems ideas.
Got a cheap window box, a little bit of drilling, add some lava rock and pea gravel, plants have a filter. Easy to snatch plants out of the other ponds.

This little water movement helps keep the pond nicer, since it and the stream are on a timer.

IMG_0753.JPG

DSC07941.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog bean, is going to be beautiful this year. It takes a year or so to start growing and blooming well.
The flowers have not opened yet.
IMG_0750.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think we talked about the bog bean last year, and that was something I said I was going to get, but never saw them around here. Maybe need to order one. Will have to check into them. You always have such neat bog plants, and I'm always up for something new. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a neat looking filter you made addy! I like it a lot. Glad Mr Bean is doing good for ya too :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond it is in, the deck pond, froze to the bottom. Took forever to melt. The bog bean is in one of those black plant pots you get plants in and pea gravel. I have it just under water level. I put some in the real bog, but the bog grows up so thick lost track of it, or it did not make it.

The plants will need to be pulled for the winter, the pot drained dry it is not tough enough to survive the deep freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, then this plant must be something special, if you bring it in for the winter. ;) Can't wait to see it bloom for you. Found only one on Ebay, that was a plant, and it's from France. No thank you ... pretty sure it would not survive the trip over the big pond! Will wait and watch for more of them to be posted. I DID, however, find a place that sells the pitcher plants. Thinking about adding some of them to the bog, or making a separate bog for them ... still love those things! Have yours emerged yet, Addy?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, then this plant must be something special, if you bring it in for the winter
No I don't bring in for the winter, the new little deck planter/filter/bog will need to be emptied of plants and they will be stuck back into the bog. The little planter will need to be drained for the winter.
The bog bean lives outdoors all of the time.

As soon as it blooms I will post some pictures. It is really pretty.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are now the proud parents of three!

If you look carefully you can see the parents eyes and beak looking out, I did not want to scare her, dark back in that hose, tarp pile........... Right by our basement door and hose bibs. When i am working down there I do my best to never look at her in the nest. The whole thing is sitting on a unused satellite dish.
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, adorable! What type of bird is she? I love birds of all kinds, even though I don't have many types out here.
Addy, can you please post some pics of the bog bean leaves and plant? I'm wondering if I do have a few of them, but surely I would have remembered that gorgeous flower! I see lots of seeds for sale, but thinking that's the type of thing that would take several years to mature to a real plant, and I would likely lose them in the other growth in the meantime. :) Probably need to find some plants and be done with it.

M

MariaTeresa

Wrens build their nests in the strangest places! I'm jealous of your bog bean, addy, ours is still just little green shoots coming up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think she is a wren, they hold their tail straight up. She has flown a few times, but to quick to catch a good view.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I get home will do, out getting car parts for dear honey. Someone parting out a old firebird. Up near pa. I have a lot of flower shoots opening. I have it in the deck pond to keep track of it, only plant growing in the pot. Low growers.

Ask a Question