pond in frederick, md

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
CE this is a picture of bog bean that Addy sent me. I hope it helps. I think the second picture is also bog bean. Addy correct me if I'm wrong.
bog bean.jpg bog5.JPG

Attachments

• bog5.JPG
    bog5.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 225

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah addy the birds are adorable. I'm so glad you found them and let them live there. Bog bean is very pretty.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CE here is a shot of the flower and plants. And I found a patch growing in the real bog.

The lady at the fish hatchery has some nice plants growing for sale. Not sure of the price.

IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stopped to look at plants and ended up with some pretty fantails, 2 bucks a piece for my deck pond. They will need to be moved to the big ponds for the winter. The deck pond freezes to hard.

They are so pretty. 3-5 inches in size.
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are from 2-5 inches in size. Figured my deck pond could handle some fish. I have had gf in it now and then, it was currently empty for the winter.

She told me they pulled out a bright red metallic scaled koi, in her years of raising fish she was impressed enough to put it back into the outside ponds to grow out. Not for sale.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I must move to Maryland and addy can help me build a nice new big pond/bog w/her tractor just like hers and we can shop at that nice fish store together. I can dream :D

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have lots of nice places for sale here.................lots of room for ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, those bog beans are very unique plants indeed. Appears the leaves come from one part, and the shoot with the flower comes from down farther on the root. I don't have anything that looks like that. Does your pond place ship plants, do you know, Addy? I looked on Amazon, Ebay and a couple other sites. Seems a guy in France has plants for sale on Ebay, and the other site I found them on they were $12 each, but to find out what the shipping cost is, you have to give them all sorts of personal info. Geesh ... I just want to know the total price for goodness sake. :( I'd rather find a place that grows them out, that I could get several plants from for one shipping cost, like they do on Ebay. If you think your store might ship, I would be happy to call them and ask!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they don't I could drive by, buy them for you, they are in pot, depot them and ship to you. Probably a medium or a large box. I don't see the bog bean on the plant list, but I did see the plant when I was there. They are just starting up with their plants. It is around 20 minutes from us.

I doubt they ship, since they don't take credit cards, only cash or check.

Eaton's Fish Hatchery
10701 Putman Road
Thurmont, MD 21788
Office: 301.898.7578
Cell: 240.422.3237

Please note: We can only accept Cash or Check payments.

Just saw their fish prices, she must have liked our Missy and gave us a price break, still good prices at the price listed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She also said she uses the chimney flues to protect her fish in the breeding ponds from herons. Says the fish hide in them peak out then run back. Bright red but blends in after a little time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, if you can buy me a few of them, I sure would pay you and for the postage as well. Maybe it would be about the same as the one I found on-line, not sure. I just don't want to buy plants from France, for goodness sake. That has to be impossible to assume they would arrive alive and healthy. And, besides the one other place for $11 each, and not sure about shipping, maybe it would be same price to buy from that source, than having you go through the hassle. I might even ask my local greenhouse that carries lots of water plants, see if they ever get bog beans. That would be ideal! Let me know if you will be going that direction, and I'll let you know what I come up with by that point. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just looked at their website. Very impressive! And, their fish are VERY cheap! I paid almost $10 for my "large" fantails, which are maybe 4" long. Wish I had a fish store that was remotely close to where I live. There is a fish hatchery that specializes in salt water fish. Now that's a cool place to visit! Very expensive, but man do they have fish hatching figured out. They raise clowns, and pair them up, and pairs of them are pretty expensive. I remember seeing a beautiful pair that were maybe 3" long each for $250, if I remember correctly. I know that's unbelievable, but the color must have been very unusual. They have all the exotic fish, too, and some fresh water as well. I got my angels there, and they were very large when they both died about 3 years later. Growing out another pair of small ones now. I don't see the bog bean on their plant list either, but thought maybe it was called something else. I may give them a call, and just ask if they have them and the price if/when they get them. Looks like the price will be similar to the company that I found some so thinking I will just buy from that company. Thanks so much for the offer, though!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are heading down that road in the next few moments, got to go and pick up our rv trailer, they were putting a anti sway thing on it and our truck. So anytime if you don't find them it is not that far of a drive. The plants were in one gallon pots.

Just have to glove up to work on the ponds, got poison ivy AGAIN between two fingers

dsc07944-jpg.80191

Ask a Question