addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My shallow ponds froze up solid or almost solid the snails all made it. The ones in the big pond, some are the size of golf balls now, look like rocks on the bottom but are actually snails. so I am sure you have some. Also finding tiny baby snails, like 1/4 inch or so.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog bean in full bloom, more flower buds coming up

upload_2015-4-24_18-32-5.jpeg

First three lotus leafs
DSC07951.JPG

Almost stepped on this one

DSC07953.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your bog bean is quite pretty. Looks like it grows in the pond too and not just a bog.

Froggie looks either comfy in there or stuck :oops:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep a water plant, does not need to be shallow just wet, in the bog it is in just pea gravel, shallow, in the pond it is in kitty litter, about two inches under water.

They usually just sit and wait to see if you go away, hardly ever jump. My foot was 6 inches from it. I didn't see it right away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Those are lotus leaves? They look so much like lilies, no wonder I am having a hard time figuring out what the lake plants are that I got! One I'm pretty sure is a wild lotus, but it never fully bloomed, just sent up a flower stalk with a bud, but didn't open. Hoping maybe this year, and maybe I need to fertilize it. The one I got from another lake last summer is a lotus, too. It's busted the bucket it was in, and is growing out the side out the crack. Going to reposition it, I think ... and fertilize it, too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Probably confused you the ones in the front are lilies, the three leaves in the back are the lotus, they come up like little tubes.

lotus.JPG

used the ptz to pull in a shot of them for you, not totally in focus but you can see the leaves.

lotus1.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are still hiding if you look it is like no fish are there. When we are gone I will need to put a net over the pond, the heron likes to sit on our roof right above it and scope out the big ponds fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That is one large trapdoor! And, you said the birds are wrens, right? That ought to be fun. I love wrens, they seem to be so friendly and unafraid of humans. Maybe that's why they choose to nest close, as other critters stay away.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep wren, I finally saw the parent. There are 4 eggs, one is still unhatched, the others just hatched. The are so close to the door and water faucet. The parent just sits there and watches me go in and out. I only take pictures if the parents are gone so i don't bother them.

I have some huge trap doors, they look like rocks on the bottom of the pond.

Ask a Question