addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao, try to dig a hole for a lil plant, you give up. There has been a lot of shovel work, but only after the tractor breaks up the ground. it takes a digging bar to even put in a plant, darn rocks. Think it is shale, no clue, need to spend the time to look up indigenous rocks frederick

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao, try to dig a hole for a lil plant, you give up. There has been a lot of shovel work, but only after the tractor breaks up the ground. it takes a digging bar to even put in a plant, darn rocks. Think it is shale, no clue, need to spend the time to look up indigenous rocks frederick

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
addy1- do you wash off your rocks before putting them in the ,or should I say on the liner..I do just in case it may have chemicals or whatever on it,but if you do wash them,don't use soap or chemicals on them.I use a steel brush.
btw I need more pics to try and help you with the stream setup.I'm honored that you requested my experience

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
addy1- do you wash off your rocks before putting them in the ,or should I say on the liner..I do just in case it may have chemicals or whatever on it,but if you do wash them,don't use soap or chemicals on them.I use a steel brush.
btw I need more pics to try and help you with the stream setup.I'm honored that you requested my experience

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:

The rocks from the dig can't be used in the pond, they are a shale type rock, i.e. they dissolve in water after awhile. Turn mushy, but they can be used on the ground.

So far have not washed any rocks, they are all sitting there staring at me letting me know how much work it will be haul them up the hill.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:

The rocks from the dig can't be used in the pond, they are a shale type rock, i.e. they dissolve in water after awhile. Turn mushy, but they can be used on the ground.

So far have not washed any rocks, they are all sitting there staring at me letting me know how much work it will be haul them up the hill.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:
addy1-

Here are some pictures. We have been brainstorming, honey and I and have some ideas, it is going to be a task! But nothing set in stone.........lol

The arrows show the drops, all on the high side of the slope, the lower side of the stream had to build it up a little. our slope is pretty steep. The dirt edges are around 2-3 feet, depending on if there is a pond or not, or just the stream.

We wanted a meandering steam, o/w we would have had a water flow we could body surf down with the drop, if we had had it go straight down the hill.

Two of the pictures have liner, two have our black plastic test stream.

Attachments

• DSC00115b.jpg
    DSC00115b.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 819
  • DSC00112b.jpg
    DSC00112b.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 816
  • DSC01157b.jpg
    DSC01157b.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC01159b.jpg
    DSC01159b.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 818

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:
addy1-

Here are some pictures. We have been brainstorming, honey and I and have some ideas, it is going to be a task! But nothing set in stone.........lol

The arrows show the drops, all on the high side of the slope, the lower side of the stream had to build it up a little. our slope is pretty steep. The dirt edges are around 2-3 feet, depending on if there is a pond or not, or just the stream.

We wanted a meandering steam, o/w we would have had a water flow we could body surf down with the drop, if we had had it go straight down the hill.

Two of the pictures have liner, two have our black plastic test stream.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
becky@sparkling-koi-ponds said:
I love seeing your progress...and the Kubota. Keep the pictures coming, but stay out the heat.

I think your idea of starting at the bottom of the stream and stacking back upstream would work. I would probably use some mortar though to keep the rocks from tumbling back down or getting dislodged somehow. You can always hide the mortar with smaller rocks.

We are thinking of using mortar to help with the dirt walls that we have on the streams, I did buy a bunch of the great stuff pond foam off of ebay, we are still thinking of which way to go.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
becky@sparkling-koi-ponds said:
I love seeing your progress...and the Kubota. Keep the pictures coming, but stay out the heat.

I think your idea of starting at the bottom of the stream and stacking back upstream would work. I would probably use some mortar though to keep the rocks from tumbling back down or getting dislodged somehow. You can always hide the mortar with smaller rocks.

We are thinking of using mortar to help with the dirt walls that we have on the streams, I did buy a bunch of the great stuff pond foam off of ebay, we are still thinking of which way to go.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't look DrDave, it is rocks!

Here is what 38000 lb of pea gravel looks like, waiting to be washed.
3500 lbs of stepping stones, 2900 lbs of boulders.
4000 lbs of medium river rocks

Good thing my hubby loves me!

What a lot of work waiting to be done.

Attachments

• DSC00146.jpg
    DSC00146.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 772
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 839
  • DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 800

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't look DrDave, it is rocks!

Here is what 38000 lb of pea gravel looks like, waiting to be washed.
3500 lbs of stepping stones, 2900 lbs of boulders.
4000 lbs of medium river rocks

Good thing my hubby loves me!

What a lot of work waiting to be done.

Reaction score
Wow. This is a tremendously awesome project. It humbles my small 10x12 plan :). Interested to see how it all pans out. And please talk more about the bog.

Reaction score
Wow. This is a tremendously awesome project. It humbles my small 10x12 plan :). Interested to see how it all pans out. And please talk more about the bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
simmonspond said:

What would you like to hear, ie see in type........lmao

The bog is going to be the length of the pond, around 6 foot wide, 20 inches deep.
the liner is continuous with the pond. We build a wood retaining wall between the pond and bog, around 19 inches tall. One part of that wall is 3 inches lower, that is where the water fall will be. It will not be a long drop to the surface of the pond, being that this is on the low end of our slope.

We are running two lines of 2 inch pvc with slots cut into it around 1/4 inch in width, (there is a picture in the beginning of this thread i think) decided on slots so less chance of it getting plugged.

This pvc will be put in with the slots facing down towards the liner, the pea gravel will be piled on top and planted.

The bottom filter, (we are building out of 2 inch pvc pipe) will drawn the bottom water to pump it through the bog. We are going to have two leaf filters before it enters the bog.
We are also going to have a skimmer (sorry drdave, I know you don't like them) it to will draw water that will enter the bog, the skimmer has its own leaf basket.

If need be we will do a prefilter, but without a fish load I think this set up will work ok without it.

It is a very large bog filter, but I love plants and it will look great (well once we get plants in it)

The bog is the part with the carpet pad.
Any questions ask away.

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 566

Ask a Question