Pond question whats better

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Getting ready to start a new pond, or extend existing. Now you have me thinking. three optionas 1. I HAVE to get another pump no matter, so is it better to have two seperate ponds? 2. a long thin pond 8x35 or 3. a triangular pond approx 14 long 20 base, Opinions please

Reaction score
Oh boy, you ask a very loaded question. With regard to ponds, nothing is really perfect. I personally wouldn't do a triangular shape, as it is not great for water circulation and that peak area will likely be a dead spot. Rounded ponds are generally best because they allow for better water circulation.

If you do anything like a rectangular pond, which is my next build, you can put some TPR's (just google TPR and pond to read more on what this is) in strategic corners to keep the water circulating.

I have two ponds, but they are technically not separate as one waterfalls into the other and they are on 1 filtration system. Two totally separate ponds would have independent filtration systems and be completely independent of eachother. These are beneficial because if you have an issue or disease in one pond, both are not affected. Of course, you have to buy twice the equipment and do twice the maintenance.

It all depends on your personal situation.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you decide to go with the triangle, place a pump/s in the corner/s to cause a circular rotation. Have your pickup pump in the center as all the debries will go there due to the circular motion.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Thanks I'm thinkin I may go with the long one, water delivered in the middle (shallow) pushing water to the two ends (deep) BDs on each side, kinda like the stream method. We'll see? Picked up a big ole skimmer yesterday on Craigslist $20.00 wooohooo :fish2:

Reaction score
The stream method. That's exactly right!! Water rushing from one end the to the bottom and clearing into your BD's. Bravo! Plus, your fish will totally love that and enjoy the force of water. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm doing the same exact set set up on my build in the spring.

Reaction score
Please note that I am a beginner, but have done some reading. It seems there is a group of Koi enthusiasts who do not have any plants in their Koi pond. This group often does have plants, but in a separate pond.

Seems part of the reason is Koi are notoriously hard on plants. In my limited experience that hasn't been a problem because I put two inches of rough edged rocks on top of the soil in each pot. Supposedly the Koi don't like rooting in these.

I think my preference if I had any back left to build with would be two ponds. One for plants and one for Koi & Goldfish. I do have a tiny preformed pond with plants in it, but I'd be thinking more along the lines of 500-750 gallons and all plants. As it is, we don't have any more room in our yard anyway.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Okay two pics.....which would be the better way....do you think. The $ is an issue, please take into concideration :) Both will feed bd into a 55gal pre-filter, then off to the pump,1st pic takes a portion of the prefilter into the skimmer on right
Pic One 29'x8' with a narrower 5' area at center deep end 1 bottom drain
1bdkoipond.jpg

pic two: 29x8 with narrow 5' at center...shallow area, 2 bottom drains

model1pond2bd.jpg

First attempt at pics...hmmmmmm:banghead3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With a 29' pond I'd go with 2 BD's. What size BD are you going to use?

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
I'm thinking 3" since I'm not really doing a settling chamber, just a pre-filter.

I'm just not sure which one I like best. To be honest I have the left side already existing 16'x5.5, If I wanted to really save $ I'd just build up to it with the new side and "act" as if they were one pond, the bridge will be over that area anyhow. I could seperate the fish that way, 'blues" on one side :) But I really need to put an inliner BD there, and I wanted to dig it deeper and wider, I know if I just make the new side, I'll regret it? I thought about seaming it, which I could do with the shallow area in the middle. BUT it scares me, seaming. I'm kinda leaning towards the Deeper in the center, the fish would hang under the cover of the bridge that way. Oh what to do, what to do:banghead3::):banghead3:

What would you do?

Things I'm planning on buying, BD's(1 or 2), Submersible pump, edpm liner 20x40. Misc items are inerds for the skimmer, piping etc.

Ask a Question