Pond rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Send some down this way, lol

But serously,, would it be recommended to put somthing under the rock between the rock and the liner?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
would it be recommended to put somthing under the rock between the rock and the liner?

I've seen folks who put really big rocks in the bottom of their pond place an additional piece of liner under the rock. I'm not sure if people do that for rocks around the edges. I didn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Send some down this way, lol

But serously,, would it be recommended to put somthing under the rock between the rock and the liner?
Our pond is FULL of large rocks (in our area of NC they're cheap & plentiful) and every single large rock placed on the liner has a piece of underlayment under it -- just in case.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We padded any rock that could cause a leak if it punctured liner - probably overkill, but it never hurts to be careful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
$0.35/lb sounds ridiculous, but I only know about my own region and that imported rocks can get really expensive. Just think of how many resources are used up moving rocks from one place to another.

In the PacNW, I can get beautiful gray basalt in just about any size I want for about $55/ton or about $0.03/lb. That's just if you want it exactly how it comes out of the ground down the road, though. Price goes up if you want it cut into a block or sliced as a flagstone. And basalt is the cheapest stuff. There are other local-ish stones that are more expensive. But I can't imagine ever paying $0.33/lb for anything. $660/ton!

One thing might be the place you're getting it. Retail landscaping supply will be the most expensive. If you can go to the actual quarry or stone yard, you can probably get the exact same thing a lot cheaper, but those places aren't quite as homeowner friendly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am of the belief to apply underlayment where ever there is rock. I have seen eben Totaly round river rock split and become beyond sharp. I did not put fabric in the begining under river rock and pea stone.. many here believe it can hold to much sediment under the fabric. I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. As thats all ponds are . If your system is light on filtratiion and more so ciculation then this may be unadvisable. But any rock that starts out with sharp edges such as flag stone i would totally recommend that insurance to apply fabric under it.
If your looking for a specific shape color of rock then your local landscape company fits the bill and what a bill it will be. The rocks that I bought were from a compost company who took in outside the fall just about anything like stumps etc. The other place where I got most of the ones I bought were at a sand and gravel yard who had a crusher. Now not every yard will entertain the idea of you getting some rock/boulders but if they do you probably just saved a ton of money i was getting 2000 and 3000 if not larger boulders for 50 bucks each. Cash and carry but you can see the savings. If i needed the rocks hauled that wouldn't have been to hard either just ask anyone of the many trucks that came to the yard so arive with empty loads and pickup stock while the others just brought in loads and are leaving empty. There's your target.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
.35 a pound is $700 a ton. That's high, but you may be paying that much because you AREN'T buying it by the ton. I know I can go to rock yards and buy one or two nice rocks to put in the landscape and they post a per lb price for those.

You could ask and see if they have a tonnage price. Although you'll pay a delivery cost, so it's best to get everything you think you'll need all at once since the cost to deliver is the same for one ton or 30 tons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
They do, its .30 a ton
About an hour away from me, in Savannah Ga there's a quarry that sells "RipRap" rocks.. not sure if there good to use for the pond, but i might give them a call tomorrow and find out their price

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your rip rap is like our rip rap, then I would say no. It's a really craggy, rough, sharp rock. Like they use to fill drainage ditches and to line the shore of retention ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do, its .30 a ton
About an hour away from me, in Savannah Ga there's a quarry that sells "RipRap" rocks.. not sure if there good to use for the pond, but i might give them a call tomorrow and find out their price
Rip rap look at the words. Its freshly sPLIT rock we use it to build Very primitive roads through the woods. Its anywhere from 2 foot down 6 to 8 and 4 to 6 being the most popular. It rips our tires up long before millage has a chance to wear them out. NOT EXACTLY What I would choose for a barefoot are or one id want against rubber. Note the rip rap i usualy get is granite or basalt both are very very sharp when split but some other types like competent sand sand can be less risky .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Oh well,, it was just a thought,, maybe i should just stop complaining, bite the bullet and just get what i'm getting. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just remember 90% of all ponds develope a peach fuzz at the best and all the rocks all look the same . I wouldnt spend money on color below water level. But size and shape can do a lot for the overall esthetics underwater and above water level is where your money can truely be appreciated. Last thought bpulders sitting on the surface look like i said a boulder siting on the ground bury even just a little of the boulder and it looks natural

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks....
Found out that theres a place that sells river rock for .15c a lb, but its a 90 minute drive from where we are,,,sounds like it might be a good idea to go on a road trip lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trust me to some contractors rocks are little more than something that Justus them time and money and then others see it a gold

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jutt .30/ton or do you mean a lb. or did you mean $30/ton.....At .30/ton is basically giving the rock away, even $30/ton is cheap.... I would check it out and see what they mean by rip rap. Rip rap is just a general term, depending where in the country you are located. We use large granite boulders 2-5000lb in my line of work buying it by the ton, some call that rip rap. Some of it is jagged and rough, but 99% of all rocks have at least one flat relatively smooth side on it.

As mentioned already, all rock even river cobble is rough, and can have sharp edges, so I would agree on putting down some fabric over the liner where you place larger rocks. If you work with any of that stuff without gloves for a day or two your hands will be like sandpaper, on The plus side though you can use your hands to sand down wood, or pick up things by just slapping your hand down on it.

Ask a Question