Pond vac woes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I have just bought a new Oase Pondvac 4. Once the first chamber fills, I notice water seeping and bubbling out all around the area where the vents are on the sides of the motor. The unit empties properly, but instead of regaining suction, the motor shuts off. I then have to wait about 20 minutes until the unit will turn on again. I've checked for clogs and cleaned filters but it continues to happen. I've contacted the place that I bought it from but they haven't ever actually used one. I'd hate to have to return it. I'd love to get it to work properly.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You always need to make sure the drain hose is going down hill right out of the unit . I have to set my vac on wood blocks around some parts of my pond to get it to drain right then their is no problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Contact Oase directly.
Thanks for both of these responses. I have now contacted Oase US. Originally, I couldn't find any contact info as (unbelievably), they do not list Canada as one of their countries. Anyway, the shop who sold me the unit told me to go through the US site. I hope Oase gets back to me. As for the gravity issue of the drain, I have been paying close attention to that and always setting the unit above grade so I am certain that's not causing the problem. The water burbles out of the ventilation slots of the motor housing and then runs all down the sides. Should there be water up that high? It certainly doesn't show such a thing happening on the video. I've not used it since Friday because I fear the motor is being damaged. The shop is closed until Wednesday, at which time I will return it to them but meanwhile I'd love to know if anyone has experienced this issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Today, I spoke with someone at Oase technical support. Two things were suggested:

1) Extension cord: 25-50 feet requires 12 gauge; 50-100 feet requires 10 gauge (hard to find, and very expensive)

2) the floats in the two chambers should move freely up and down. If one or both are stuck, then the motor needs to work too hard and will overheat, causing a safety shutoff.

One of my floats is sticking, but it seems to be related to grit preventing an easy movement. If I spray with a hose to clear the grit, then the floats move freely. But, really.....this is pretty high maintenance! As soon as I begin to vacuum, isn't it expected that sand and grit will come in contact with the floats? I'm stopping periodically ( every 10 minutes ) to clean the foam pads of sludge, but to also have to spray with a hose is a bit much. Do others have to do this too? The extension cord issue has been taken care of...I've spent $80 CDN for a special cord. I do seem to be getting better power but there is still the issue of sticky floats due to grit. How on earth do I prevent that?

Feeling frustrated....

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have had mine for 3 years and never cleaned any thing but the filter screens,
Mine works great !
I have had it sound funny and blow water out the little vent things . That's when I know my drain hose is not set right it's all gravity flow , if the end of the hose even comes up a little I think it air locks the unit and slows the flow to much and it over fills.

Once I figured that out I could suck out a giant pile of leaves if I had too with out stopping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness....I am so envious. I feel that I may have a lemon on my hands but am not going to be able to get it replaced. I'll see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for your input. It helps me to know what others have experienced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Did you need to use a special extension cord? I was told that I had to get one which is 12 gauge for up to 50 feet. How long is the cord you are using? Sorry to belabour this topic, but I've spent over $500 on this machine and to have it not work is pretty upsetting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
lamby, I'm wondering if you need to look at the electrical supply issue a little more.
First, how far is it from the breaker panel to the outlet and what guage wire is used? How many amps is the breaker on the fuse panel? How many outlets does that breaker supply?
Second, how far is it from that electrical outlet to your pond?
There is no point using a 12 guage extension cord to the pond if you only have 14 guage wire from the breaker panel to the outlet, and the 14 guage wire run is already operating at capacity.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
No I don't have a special cord , my yard cord is not real heavy duty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Yesterday, I returned the vac to the store where I bought it. Initially, with the new cord it worked well for the first few fill/empty cycles of the chambers but then it shut off. This time, when I opened the lid and lifted it, water poured out of the motor housing. Enough! I packed it up and returned it. The shopkeepers are going to test it and have said I will receive a replacement unit if they agree that it is defective. Now I wait.

Ask a Question