Pond with no pump, no filter, no fish

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But what is so bad about a still pond if there will be minimal mosquitoes and if it will be maintained regularly? Is it just because of the smell?

Not a thing if you don't mind being tied to frequent maintenance (much more than would be involved if you had water movement). The smell can be minimized (see previous sentence). Mosquitoes, however, should absolutely not be allowed to breed. They are becoming the prime vector for far too many diseases.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Combined with the mosquitoes dunk, I suggest you put some surface level feeder fish like guppies in the pond. They don't create much waste and will eat mosquitoes larvae for you. If you don't take them in during winter they will just die off and you can replace them next year. Or you could house them inside in a bucket with air bubble and a little small hanging filter (or a small aquarium). With that big of the pond you will need quite a number of them. If you put tons of hornwort in, they will be fine.

Also they sell solar power fountain head / air pump. If you have any sun near by.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Alright thats sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try. A solar pump? Wow never heard of that but sounds very convenient! It must be very expensive tho right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Alright thats sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try. A solar pump? Wow never heard of that but sounds very convenient! It must be very expensive tho right?
Not that bad. If you want you can get small one and let it move water around which should help some too. I see that you can get it from $20.

By the way. I did my own wiring of the pond electrical outlet. Not that hard :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i would say any thing can happen , can get messedup smelly or may remain clean , i have seen different results in different places also depends what plants you choose because there will be decay process when you add plants weather its there old roots or leaves and it may make water yellowish then dust and algae will settle inside etc , i have seen fishes keep water more clean even if its a small fish they keep on eating walls algae or particles and moving dirt etc

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So I'm thinking of installing a 10x10 ft tub style pond(not liners) without any technology whatsoever and no fish. Is that possible? I just want a quiet pond with plants around it. I might put some big boulders that pop out of the water too. Kind of like a Japanese pond.
I will apply netting so debris won't go in, I will use mosquito dunks, and the pond will be in deep shade with minimal sunlight. Is this kind of pond possible?
All in or don't bother, unless you like spending your $ 2-3x

Ask a Question