Ponds 1st Anniversary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi y'all, my small but cute, 1k ltr pond is fast approaching it's 1st anniversary and I'm wandering what to expect when our local climate start's to head into spring and warm things up.
On its approach to winter the string algea started to build around the periferals and has increased even through these colder times but at least has given some cover to the small fish inhabitants that want it , think the two orandas have learned to stay clear .
Water clarity is good for now but as no warmth yet only to be expected, but when it comes are there any tips out there what to either do or look out for. I've left my waterfall pump going as no major frosts have been anticipated. And I have put some foods in on occasion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi y'all, my small but cute, 1k ltr pond is fast approaching it's 1st anniversary and I'm wandering what to expect when our local climate start's to head into spring and warm things up.
On its approach to winter the string algea started to build around the periferals and has increased even through these colder times but at least has given some cover to the small fish inhabitants that want it , think the two orandas have learned to stay clear .
Water clarity is good for now but as no warmth yet only to be expected, but when it comes are there any tips out there what to either do or look out for. I've left my waterfall pump going as no major frosts have been anticipated. And I have put some foods in on occasion.
fish are most vulnerable coming out of winter, so don't feed at first, esp if there's plants/algae for them to eat.

Bacteria growth lags behind fish bioload creation, so you'll want to give your system a chance to come to the table.

String algae shows you have a overabundance of nutrients in the water, so more 'other' plants will help and you'll find the string algae tends to have a season. A lot of peeps report having it for a few years then as their plants grew in, the string algae didn't show itself again. I'm one of these...

You may get some early season green water but just have patience. That overfeeding thing helps green water, so shy away from that. Too, if you're worried re the size of your herd, don't feed during spawning time, either. Unless you're actively trying to increase their number.

Don't do any bottom stirring during the early spring; remember point 1 above.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your swift response broken sword or was it Mike? I can't remember, I think I should refrain from the feeding then on those random warmer days , fearing an overload in nutrients, I have those 10 little local park fish in there among the orandas plus 1 single fin companion that just seems more friendly than aggressive, even less boisterous in these winter months, , I'm hoping I've erradicated all the sticklebacks that I produced in the spring from two adults whilst my pond was in the early stages of cycling,
Is it proberble that the string algea will expand rapidly (when climate warms)if unchecked? I was hoping to get frogs spawning this time around whilst the tadpoles have somewhere to hide in a small pond with fish. Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I second what broken sword said: have patience! It is so tempting to try to mess with nature! Your pond may green up as the weather warms but give your plants a chance to help with that - and give the biological filtration a chance, too! Be sure to share pictures! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I second what broken sword said: have patience! It is so tempting to try to mess with nature! Your pond may green up as the weather warms but give your plants a chance to help with that - and give the biological filtration a chance, too! Be sure to share pictures! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully there's two videos here somewhere, 10°© today a couple of flakes , no more, the water no doubt will have some nitrate in there hence the string algea, the local park has this in abundance tho usually when it's warmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hopefully there's two videos here somewhere, 10°© today a couple of flakes , no more, the water no doubt will have some nitrate in there hence the string algea, the local park has this in abundance tho usually when it's warmer
videos??

external-content.duckduckgo copy.jpg

Ask a Question