j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good going Colleen! I like your little slave :)
Is the new pond going to be the highest pond now?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, it will be higher and deeper than the old top pond. The old top pond will still be there, but the new top pond will flow down into old top pond, then down two more levels, to reach the bottom pond. I can use current pumps and pump water to new top pond, which will flow down and spin big floating stainless steel balls, as water comes down the levels for more added Circulation. So I can use same pumps so that will save money. Although I will buy another big pump and switch out one of the smaller pumps and use that one in front yard pond.

Gee, sitting on couch and it is real late at night, something hit the window just now. I think it was a small branch or something and I see it is really raining hard now. Window is fine but the sound frightened me...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I had to do another one it would have to be all done by my hands. A tractor would be nice. I am satisfied w/what I have for now cuz my back hurts just thinking about it.

Pretty soon your whole back yard will be full of ponds Colleen. Sounds very nice to me. Wonder how many gallons you will have between them all now.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not sure how many gallons, will have to calculate the width and length and depth once done. I had to work all day and night yesterday, long 9 hours, then I had to get up and work at 10 this morning cause boss is away on vacation and they always need me...

Tomorrow I am off and am going to go hard and get it done, at least finish the digging and get the lumber and supplies and drag that home in the back of my truck. Will have to take it in at least two loads, cause my truck back is small and the lumber has to hang out the end a little with the tail gate down. Then they will shrink wrap the loose lumber and staple a red flag so I can safely drive it home. Everything takes time, then once the ground is fully dug out, then I can do the built up part. I am will have to pre drill the holes and then pound in big spikes to lock them together good.

With a perfect square frame, I will maximise the use of the liner, so very little will be cut out as waste. After I will rock off the one edge, and with each of my ponds set on an angle, and the new square upper pond will be larger and I think I can create the illusion of an more pleasant eye pleasing shape. It should be pretty nice once done. I want to get rid of some trees too this weekend if hubby has the chain saw ready.
20150413_175655.jpg
These two ponds are really rectangle shaped, but set on angle they look better, cause it gives the illusion of curves.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will be looking for pix of you slaving away tomorrow. It will be well worth all your effort. Now I forgot which fish will be getting to use the newest pond?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I will be moving some of the biggest koi from the middle pond, and the old top pond into that new pond. I would like to move the two very biggest and very oldest koi from the top pond and will try that first, if the water is still very cool they will be easy to catch. I have not moved those two big koi for a long long time. I think it was back in the mid 1990's when I last moved them. I am worried about moving them cause they are so big now, and I do have a bigger net but worry they will be mad and not so very friendly if I move them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Colleen I have a friend up the road who has lots of koi and when she had to drain her big pond for some bottom drain work we used something called a sock net. It took two of us tho to guide the koi into it safely. First she used a seine net to corral the koi into a smaller area and then I put the sock net near the koi and she guided it in there w/ a flat net. Here is a website where I found a video :
http://www.koi-rescue.com/koi-catching-handling/
I have heard of people using a pillow case cut open on both ends too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes I was thinking I would guide them in to pillow case with other big net. If water is still nice and cold it will be much easier cause they don't move as fast. That big orange koi is so strong in warm summer waters, that I am sure she could drag a small child into pond by the fingers. She moves very fast when water is warm she is a very strong fish. She can make big waves in pond when she is moving fast. She also causes the lots of water to splash over the pond edges in summer.

Went to lumber store just half hour ago. Need to get lumber but price is up from last year for 8 foot section pressure treated posts. I need twenty posts at 12 dollars a piece. Not to mention the other supplies and I am going to budget Careful cause their is lots of stuff I really want to do ($$$) to yard this year. Well lumber is on sale this Saturday and I will save 15%! That is better than nothing and I will just get back to work on that hole on the ground so it is all ready for this weekend.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And the weather right now is unbelievable! So very warm and extra sunny for April. Kind of makes me think we might be in for warm dry spell. Have not had to much rain for last couple months. The creek just over two short blocks from house is low, so no danger of flooding. Tired of the panic when creek or river is high, so that is good. But on other hand, if we don't get enough rain then some dry years we get water restrictions.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good waiting till Saturday for the savings even if not as much as you like. Maybe have someone help you with the big koi. Glad you are getting nice weather to do your new pond. I had great weather today to hook up my new Laguna pond pump to the pre-filter and then to the falls. Looks like the falls are a bit faster but not as much as I thought it would be. Next few days here are supposed to be really nice so maybe it will float up your way.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My pond the new upper level will be 8 feet by 8 feet and close to four feet deep. We shall see, digging heavy clay now, it's going slow right noW and sun is hot. Need to have two days off in row but these days in row but that's a fat chance these days. Have to work this this afternoon as well. I should have everything done by May. That is my goal. We shall see...

Then I had to take mother again today to doctor visit and of course she wanted to go eat at A&W after that. While at A&W I spotted a large group of elderly people in their late 70's and 80's all enjoying a coffee and burger.

I think I will get it all lumber delivered, (Monday ) maybe, and cement blocks as well for padio cause they are so darn heavy.. it's an extra 70 dollars to deliver, but we'll worth it cause 20 large cement slabs would be too much for my little Blazer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Enjoy the process, it will get done...............eventually!

Ask a Question