Ponds in Canada

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Looking so beautiful as usual. You take such good care of everything. I did find some Hornwort in one of my big tubs outside and stuck it in my big pond. Fish went right for it so don't know how long that will last. Darn pigs! If any left I will take it out at the start of winter and put it in another tub so it can be there for next year.
Nice you may have sold the condo so fast. Hope it goes through. Glad to hear your mom loves her new home.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
How old are your koi colleen we have been having a little debate about how long koi live

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
How old are your koi colleen we have been having a little debate about how long koi live
I believe my two oldest KOI are about 25 years at least, they have been outside since 1992 for sure.
I also think it is very important to have them in cool water, and have a winter for them as well, as the bugs that make them sick don't survive the long cold winters we have. Running water all winter is key to keeping them fresh and healthy. I always hear about the koi way down south getting bugs and sick but mine never had any problems up here in ice cold Canada!
Although we have had a very warm summer this year, but the water in my ponds remain cool despite the heat. I think the four connecting ponds and the shade from the trees help for sure. Smaller bodies of water heat up faster especially in the hot sun.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
Reason is one person on here thought his koi was sick or was it old age .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
Colleen, I always wonder about keeping water running in my pond, but have come to believe it's design, isn't conducive to it. I do run air stones, a Pond Breather , a de-icer and cover it with an old solar cover.

I guess since it'll be my second winter covering the pond, I could try using a small pump to circulate water and keep my eye on it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Colleen, I always wonder about keeping water running in my pond, but have come to believe it's design, isn't conducive to it. I do run air stones, a Pond Breather , a de-icer and cover it with an old solar cover.

I guess since it'll be my second winter covering the pond, I could try using a small pump to circulate water and keep my eye on it.
If your method works good for you then just keep doing what your doing. I just have a different system and running water works best for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
And no with your hoop house you had better than ever water last year .If this winter is going to be bad I am going to do the same thing .I have the plastic and cattle panels ready .I really think it may be a bad winter .Colleen also feeds her dogs very healthy dog food .I run 1 pump most of the winter but if I move my bridge I can cover most of the pond with a hoop house and cover at least 1 of my filters with it .Last 2 winters have been extremely mild here ,milder than ever before

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Just covering two of the four ponds with a cattle pannel greenhouse saved me from using heater as much. This coming winter I will use the 1200 watt green pond heater instead of the 1500 watt red cattle trough heater as the big one won't be needed with the cold frames. I had no ice on ponds that had cattle pannel greenhouse all last winter. Only had ice on the lower two ponds that were not covered and then it was much less ice than normal.

Ask a Question