Pool to Pond 2013

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Adding more rocks, some plants, and bought some watercress at the grocery store and put in the falls. Ended up taking it out and placing it in the rocks around the edge of the pond. Today it is doing great, but it did go through a bad looking stage when the weather was so hot. It is coming back nicely now though. Notice the slight green tint? Our friend, the little algae fairy, had made a visit.

IMG_0813.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bonus you have a deck and can add a roof to sit and eat with the fish .

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
sissy said:
bonus you have a deck and can add a roof to sit and eat with the fish .
Ya, we were trying to figure out what to do with that deck. Thought about trying to lower it, or just rip it down. Then we both decided to leave it be for now. And now, it is growing on us. I put all kinds of potted plants up there, and we put a little bench. You get a whole different view of the pond when you sit up there!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how big and how deep is it .It does look great and nice you had help

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My front porch is up over my pond and can sit under cover and view the fish down in the pond .Put lights that shine down into the pond for night viewing and you have it made .I don't like pond lights they leak and they shine up and show water looking cloudy even if it is not .Down lights work better .I used those clamp lights .Put poles in the ground and done .Besides the height of that will give you a full view of the whole pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think you just wanted to take a swim . :cheerful: You should have made your filter fall a little higher this way you would have heard splashing of water and it would aerate the water more

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
sissy said:
how big and how deep is it .It does look great and nice you had help
It's about 25x15 and average depth is about 32", although there is one spot we dug deeper down by the falls. It's probably about 45" deep there.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
sissy said:
My front porch is up over my pond and can sit under cover and view the fish down in the pond .Put lights that shine down into the pond for night viewing and you have it made .I don't like pond lights they leak and they shine up and show water looking cloudy even if it is not .Down lights work better .I used those clamp lights .Put poles in the ground and done .Besides the height of that will give you a full view of the whole pond .
I will definitely keep this in mind. We have an underwater pond light that came with our kit, and we have not installed it yet. I also have 3 full cans of that waterfall foam that we never used. I guess I'll try and sell it on CL and buy an above ground light as you mentioned.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
sissy said:
I think you just wanted to take a swim . :cheerful: You should have made your filter fall a little higher this way you would have heard splashing of water and it would aerate the water more
The way it turned out, there is a LOT of splashing and oxygenation. The neighbors have mentioned it sounds soothing. Once I added the other rocks around the falls, I guess that did the trick.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
This whole thread is awesome!! I vote keep the porch. Plant bushes around it and make a storage underneath it and a sitting area on top with all your potted plants. It is amazing! Great Job!

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This was the first of the lilies to bloom.....Wanvisa. It has been BEAUTIFUL!!! You can also see the cobblestone and the cedar mulch that I put down around the edge. So far, we are really liking how the edge treatment is working. Was concerned about the mulch gravitation into the rocks or water, but so far so good.

IMG_0865.JPG

Ask a Question