Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
American Goldfinches
IMG_9682 copy.jpg

Today was the first day where I saw more than one bunny at a time. This one was hiding in the shade of a fence post, and under Rocky Mountain Penstemon, which is one of three plants I'm excited to see bloom this year... unless the bunnies destroy them. Time will tell.
IMG_9675 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It finally happened.
American and European Goldfinches eating together! I've been waiting ten years to see this. I had to run in the house to get my camera, and there were surprisingly still there when I got back.
IMG_9736 copy.jpg

All of the sudden, the European goldfinches flew toward me and landed in the bog. One took a drink while the other watched me, and they both flew away.
IMG_9753 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
beautiful pictures of lovely visitors ive never seen anything as exotic im sitting here hoping to see a fly,moth, wasp or bee frequent my pond
i do see a few grey wagtails a robin magpies starlings and some pidgeons ,how boring ,but on a positive note
word is getting around our feathered friends and insects alike that theres a new local (watering hole)in town ,and open for buisness 24 7 365 days a year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
beautiful pictures of lovely visitors ive never seen anything as exotic im sitting here hoping to see a fly,moth, wasp or bee frequent my pond
i do see a few grey wagtails a robin magpies starlings and some pidgeons ,how boring ,but on a positive note
word is getting around our feathered friends and insects alike that theres a new local (watering hole)in town ,and open for buisness 24 7 365 days a year
Don't worry. As the saying goes: "Build it & they will come" It's hard to be patient when you're chompin' at the bit to see some evidence of positive impact from all your hard work, but... sigh... sometimes it takes a while for nature to catch up to us. :) I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all the future wildlife lovelies that come flocking to your yard.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was heading into the woods today when I saw a Great Horned Owl fly away. That's the second time I've unintentionally scared them lately. Anyway, I couldn't get into the woods. With all the rain lately, the trail was flooded.

Later on, I noticed a couple bees crawling around one of my bee houses. Actually, it was a good reminder for me to make new tubes. Maybe that'll bee tomorrow's project.

It always bugs me that people are scared of native bees. It's usually because most people don't know the difference between bees and wasps. Sometimes it's because people think all bees live in colonies and that they'll all attack. Obviously, the vast majority of native bees are solitary and won't even sting. Many can't sting. Native bees are fantastic!

IMG_9841 copy.jpg

IMG_9847 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These two grosbeaks showed up recently. I saw them last year, one male, this year two males and one female.
Three Rose-breasted grosbeaks , two males and one female
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3224.jpg
IMG_3225.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3240.jpg
IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3243.jpg

Ask a Question