addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every year they find strange places to build their nest. Extension ladder under the deck, planters, under window boxes and in the curtians of our canopy.
I made those nice in the sky wren nests. snake proof, they have not touched them. But I have not seen a lot of them around yet. Usually we see tons of them I really like them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got babies in my rotting willow tree! I was sitting outside last night and saw a raccoon climbing up the tree, then disappeared inside one of the branches. I had a feeling. I went outside a few minutes ago and saw them moving around. I also saw another raccoon in another rotting tree last night, so I might have two sets of families.

IMG_6977 copy.jpg

Also, I had Eastern Bluebirds back in my yard again the other day, and instantly watched a House Sparrow chase them away. :mad:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been able to count two so far. They were both looking at me. Couldn't get focused in time, but I did get this one peaking out. I love raccoons. A lot of people see them as pests, but they're awesome little creatures. One of only a handful of mammals that has adapted to city living.

IMG_7002 copy.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How cute! We have tons of raccoons around they don't really bother anything, including our pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Took some video of them this evening.
They are so darned cute! My partner had some at his house 2 or 3 years ago. Momma would bring them to raid the bird feeders at night. We'd laugh as this giant 30lb (I'm guessing) racoon would hang upside-down from the bird feeder shaking the seeds out for her babies. A bear also stole that bird feeder the following year. It's a testament to the No-No Cardinal feeder that it has survived all these antics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How cute! We have tons of raccoons around they don't really bother anything, including our pond.
You're lucky. We have lost a few fish over the years to raccoons. And the occasional frog, but they're welcome to help control that population!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have lost a few fish over the years to raccoons.
If I lose fish to them I don't notice it. We have a bunch, non countable fish. I look for their footprints in the pond have not seen them at all. When we first built I would see the prints all of the time. And no plant disturbance.

Ask a Question