Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, we don't have that many fish so I know exactly who's there & who's missing. No way to see footprints around the pond, and they don't do much noticeable damage to any plants, but occasionally I'll notice the dogs doing some big-time sniffing in an area near the edge & find some scales or other 'left over bits'. :cautious:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I lose fish to them I don't notice it. We have a bunch, non countable fish. I look for their footprints in the pond have not seen them at all. When we first built I would see the prints all of the time. And no plant disturbance.

That was a concern of mine when I first installed my pond but I've never had any issue with them around my pond either.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never found left over fish bits. I only would see the prints in the bottom dirt of the pond.

B

Burd

Rocky comes by fir a snack once in a while.
4093A5FB-CC8F-4785-A538-F0604E210B2B.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are awfully cute - rotten little bandits! :) Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, maybe once a year at most. And the fish would literally have to swim right up to them at the edge, so... I guess we can chalk it up to weeding out the gene pool of those that like to swim right into the paws of a predator? Everybody that's 3' down & in the cave isn't becoming a snack for Rocky Raccoon. I don't like it, but since there's nothing I can really do about it, I have to not let it make me crazy. The pond's no good if I give myself an ulcer worrying constantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No pictures but have to share. I just saw a badger! I saw eyeshine, and slowed to see if it was one of my cats, as I was less than a mile from the house, and the badger was just hunkered down by theside of the road. Now I'm wondering if it will mess with the pond once that is done.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm thinking no @JamieB as they can swim but prefer not to. I read that they will eat fish tho but it's prolly on a rare opportunity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is the 8th Spring we've had the pond & in that time there have been dozens of Wood Frogs come to spawn, resulting in hundreds (thousands?) of tadpoles. But I had never actually seen a baby Wood Frog tadpole developed & leave the pond. Until yesterday!!! O. M. G. --- How cute are they??? And SO tiny!! I expect that within the next few days all the little ones will have hopped out & gone back to live in the woods until they're old enough to join the late Winter spawning frenzy. See you later, little ones!
Wood frog baby 02.jpg

baby frog on finger 01.jpg

B

Burd

Once again, three years in a row a wren is making a nest in the wren box, we were watching, she or him all morning, she was struggling wit large sticks, I went out and broke a bunch up. Lol. I hope they nest there The sparrow family took over the winter roost house, you take the inside ladder out and flip the door for summer, so theres 2 open Houses, plus the Wren
hose has a smaller hole, just for Wrens. Left is the old sparrow home,

7112BC9A-9605-4FE0-B600-956031266BE1.jpeg
CC808A46-8BA2-4FA4-88DD-BD40D691B7D2.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice shot of the Summer Tanager JB, have never seen one of those.

Greg pics everyone, love birds and we hvae our feeders going year round but I am not much a photographer.

Love Pileated’s and I purposely leave up old snags as they seem to gravitate to these with all the insects in them. I watched one time when one was on the ground pounding away on an old piece of timber. I was able to get within 6 feet of him by creeping up slowly. They are decent size when you see them up close.

Rose Breasted Grosbeak = Bigmouth. That is our nickname for them as they are so vocal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've been able to count two so far. They were both looking at me. Couldn't get focused in time, but I did get this one peaking out. I love raccoons. A lot of people see them as pests, but they're awesome little creatures. One of only a handful of mammals that has adapted to city living.

View attachment 129571
I love raccoons too JB...I bottle fed a baby for a wildlife rehabilitator once and I hated to see her go. I think they are among the smartest of mammals...I wish people could learn to live with wildlife instead of thinking of them as pests. We build homes in their habitat and then complain that we have a pest problem. Great photos...thanks for sharing them.

B

Burd

The male wren has been singing for 2 days. looks like the nest is done and a female was checking it out. Hope they nest there. It’s fit outside a window, I hope that doesn’t scare them, they can see us in the sunroom. They don’t seem to mind.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't know what but the praying mantis are landing on my screen doors ,I wonder if it is because of the locust bugs .

Ask a Question