Proper size pot

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Soon will re-pot this beautiful Victoria fern. This lovely lady will be placed along the lower pond side. From the photo please note the size of the nursery pot and an empty pot we just happen to have on hand. I'm thinking the on-hand pot is too large and will distract from the ferns flowing beauty. Maybe go down a size. (going in a pot instead of the ground so it can be brought into the garage during the winter)

Note: I leaned the fern back so you could see the nursery pots size. I've also include a shot showing the fern elevated in the on-hand pot to show how it would look if planted. That big pot would take an awful lot of potting soil.

What are your thoughts?

015.JPG
001.1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I buy ferns each year and just stick the pot they come in, inside of a big pot...I often stick a rock to lift it up. So far, they've done beautifully each year....sadly, I toss them each fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the big pot. I have a fern that I love and bring it in each year. I bought a big pot and it looked fabulous. Now that it has been in all winter, it is rootbound. Water goes straight through. In the spring when I take it back out, I will cut it in half and put one half back in the same pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That pot size look fine to me. Your fern will also be growing this summer. You can also fill the bottom of the pot with something light weight to so the pot takes less soil and makes the pot lighter. Some use shipping peanuts or you could use plastic coffee cans turned upside down or something of the like. I have done that on bigger pots as some when filled completely with dirt are very heavy.
By the way that fern should look great by the pond!

Ask a Question