addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good keep us informed and watch your water tests. My well water is real acidic, make sure yours does not drop the ph. I have to make sure we don't add too much water at any time, our well reads 5.6 or so.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Another way to help lower ammonia and nitrates is by adding plants, A pond that has a good 50% or higher plant coverage to surface area will keep lower readings as the plants will use these as nutrients.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
howsitwelcome.gif
toadfarm

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Also, are regular comets known to jump out of the water?
goldfish and koi are known to be jumpers.especially if they do not like their water.

:bouncycig:

Reaction score
I just got results from more accurate test tube type kit.

PH - 7.75
Phosphate - 0
Nitrite - .25
Ammonia - .50

We did have a strong rainstorm today and had some mulch bleed brown into the pond because my liner extends a few inches beyond my stone edging. I will be trimming that post haste. Water is a semi clear brown color. Should I try to do anything for the water or let it run its course?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
toadfarm said:
I just got results from more accurate test tube type kit.

PH - 7.75
Phosphate - 0
Nitrite - .25
Ammonia - .50

We did have a strong rainstorm today and had some mulch bleed brown into the pond because my liner extends a few inches beyond my stone edging. I will be trimming that post haste. Water is a semi clear brown color. Should I try to do anything for the water or let it run its course?

Rather than trim the liner, add some dirt under it to make a berm to keep any run off from getting into the pond. i.e. raise the liner a little above ground level

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They put a lot of bug stuff in that mulch so you may want to add something extra to your filter to get what ever leached in there out .Use quilt batting .Better to be safe than sorry .You never know what they add to mulch

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep do like addy suggested mound up the dirt under your excess liner so you have a hill that water can't get up and over. It works wonderfully :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Toadfarm, Welcome to gpf. You have a big bio-load for such a new uncycled pond. I would add several aerators and forget about feeding them again until your ammonia goes down to zero. They will not starve!

Reaction score
Getting an aerator today to help oxygen levels. I wish I'd found this forum before getting too far into the project.

I'll get it straightened eventually. I just hope my buddies can make it through.

Reaction score
It was actually looking really good and everything seemed to be thriving. The I noticed some string algae forming in areas. Upon a recomendation from my local pond supply, I added some magic in a bottle that takes care of the string algae. Well it killed the algae by depleting the oxygen to very dangerous levels and thats when all heck broke loose. Big lesson learned there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have all done things of that sort, I do my best to add nothing to my pond now except water and food for the fish..........lol

Ask a Question