Proud new pond owner

Reaction score
I have been seeing that these are some pretty common issues with new pond owners.

I'm in day 2 of no feeding in order to get my ammonia (.5) and nitrate (.25) counts down. it's hard not feeding them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
especially when you see them looking up at you with there months open .I have not fed mine in 3 days .We have had heavy rains but it is just to hot and don't want to harm the fish .It is easier when you releize that you are doing it for there own good .You don't want more dead fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just left them, but I am not having any water issues. I still am seeing little tads hatching out. Tons of tiny toads hoping around, they are cute, some small frogs.

Our cricket population is really down from last year, they must like them.

Do some water changes, that will help lower your ammonia.

Reaction score
Does ammonia settle to the deepest part of the pond? I want to change out 20% but don't know if it's better to take from the deep or shallow. Or middle

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think it would matter, maybe best not to do late in the day, the water may cool the pond some, with the sun out it will warm back up before night.

Reaction score
That read was very informative. It all makes sense looking back to when my problems started. I essentially created my own algae bloom crash with the alagefix, which raised my bad levels and now i need to get it balanced. My counts aren't 0, but they are well within safe parameters according to the info.

And the lower (deeper) layer of a pond can be more enriched with ammonia.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That read was very informative. It all makes sense looking back to when my problems started. I essentially created my own algae bloom crash with the alagefix, which raised my bad levels and now i need to get it balanced. My counts aren't 0, but they are well within safe parameters according to the info.

And the lower (deeper) layer of a pond can be more enriched with ammonia.

Great glad it helped. You live close to a good wholesale aquatic nursery
Md. Aquatic Nurseries

They let retail sales happen on saturday 9-12. You may want to go and get a bunch of plants that will really help you out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing didn't even know that was going on..............gonna show to honey, not far from us at all.

Ask a Question