Proud new pond owner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi toadfarm, your fish are not starving. They love eating algae and bugs. When I cycle my pond I don't feed for at least 30 days. Holding off on food will keep your ammonia levels down until you build up enough of your own beneficial bacteria. Starting off with so many fish really makes it much harder. You have to be really careful in the beginning to keep all the fish healthy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine didn't get fed for over 7 months, was not even aware any of the feeders made it when we first filled the pond last year. Your fish won't starve, they do a good job of eating bugs, algae etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't feed my goldies for the first several years at all and they managed quite well eating whatever fell in the pond. Now I like to feed them just for fun. I notice they seem to multiply in numbers more when fed and if they keep on I will have to cut way back on the feeding or I will be over run and then the water quality will go down and health problems may occur w/ too many fish. With not feeding they keep the population down I'm sure eating the eggs that are laid and the small fry. Sad to think but survival of the fittest.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hey there toadfarm. welcome to the group.....some will dazzle you with brilliance...other will baffle you with bull$h!t. its up to you to sort thru it!.....enjoy your time here and enjoy your time at your pond even more!...............Mark

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't feed my goldies for the first several years at all and they managed quite well eating whatever fell in the pond. Now I like to feed them just for fun. I notice they seem to multiply in numbers more when fed and if they keep on I will have to cut way back on the feeding or I will be over run and then the water quality will go down and health problems may occur w/ too many fish. With not feeding they keep the population down I'm sure eating the eggs that are laid and the small fry. Sad to think but survival of the fittest.

During spawning season, mine won't get fed, I need them to eat some of fry and eggs, or I will get overrun also.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that's the way it goes, when I see them rolling around in the plants I'm cutting them off.............they can live on love :luxlove:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep that's the way it goes, when I see them rolling around in the plants I'm cutting them off.............they can live on love :luxlove:

Agree jw.................enjoy the fruits of their love! lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well if you don't let nature take its course, then you deal with purging, culling, killing them off, whatever you call it. I would rather let them be cannibals rather than net them and toss...............

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had to look up who was ann summers was ...........oh la la I know now!

Reaction score
Just got back from a week away. I was curious as to what I would find when we got home.

PH- 7
Ammonia - 0 (AMEN)
Nitrate - 0 (AMEN)

and water is very clear. I feel like celebrating.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just got back from a week away. I was curious as to what I would find when we got home.

PH- 7
Ammonia - 0 (AMEN)
Nitrate - 0 (AMEN)

and water is very clear. I feel like celebrating.

Happy da :banana: nce! yippee for you! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

udaman7.gif

Ask a Question