Proud new pond owner

Reaction score
Reading update;

PH - 7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .5

The amount that my ammonia decreased is about the same that the nitrite increased. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite did their job, and the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are building up to do their part; I think.

I did read that a 10% water change will help, but will I Iose the beneficial bacteria that I'm trying to cultivate?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use 5 gallon buckets to get the water up to temp in the pond so this way you do not shock the fish or cause water quality problems in your pond ,like algae .I also have some barrels now for bigger changes and I fill them up, let them come up to temp and add my air hose to it to help and then I just use an extra pump I put in the barrel and pump it into the pond .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reading update;

PH - 7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .5

The amount that my ammonia decreased is about the same that the nitrite increased. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite did their job, and the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are building up to do their part; I think.

I did read that a 10% water change will help, but will I Iose the beneficial bacteria that I'm trying to cultivate?

It won't hurt just don't use chlorinated water and your bacteria will be fine.

Reaction score
no worrie with the chlorine; I'm on a well.

Did the change, I'll check the nitrite in the morning.

The water is turning a greenish color. Not pea grean, darker. I do have a uv light. Is it ok to turn on or should I wait until everything is balanced?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use a uv, but from what i have read I don't think it would hurt to turn it on, it just wipes out algae, it will not mess with your water balance.

btw doing good with the ammonia!

Reaction score
It was nice to see the "0" reading on the ammonia. Gave me a sense that things are starting to work. I do need to exercise some patience also; the pond is less than a month old.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing! we all have that problem.........patience. Your pond is doing the normal cycle stuff, it will settle down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Called the learning curve. You should have seen my first pond back in the 70's never could see the fish in that water, slowly learned how to fix the water to make all better. The hummingbirds loved the water fall to bath in.

Reaction score
everything does seem to be happy. The plants all look great, except hyacinth, and have new growth so it can't be that bad. The fish are active and starving. I've noticed them eating the roots of the hyacinth and picking algae off of the rocks. I actually saw them catch a butterfly the other day.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! my large pond hyacinths have recently greened up and are all starting to bloom! Maybe my fish have pooped enough to get them going good.

Reaction score
I made a protective basket for the hyacinths and they are much happier now that their roots aren't being nibbled.

Counts for ammonia and nitrite at .25. I keep telling myself it will cycle one os these days.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like being crowded too, keeps them happy.

Ask a Question