Pump need to run 24/7?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Not new to fish tanks, but new to ponds. I've got a Laguna Powerjet 3000 with a PowerFlo and was wondering if it's the same as a fish tank where you leave them on 24/7?

Reaction score
Fish load determines the answer. Exactly the same as a tank. In a 100 gal tank do you need a pump for 3 tetras? None would be fine. How about 3 full grown Oscars? Some pump 24/7 probably. What about 10 full grown Oscars? For sure 24/7, and a bigger pump.

Most people just pick some pump, leave it on 24/7 and assume it's needed. But most ponds don't need a pump to keep fish alive

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
True you could leave it off, put it on a timer. Also depends on your type of filter. The bio filters die off after around (if I recall right) 5 hours or so of no flow, i.e. aeration, the bacteria likes o2.

I leave mine run, don't even notice any increase on the electric bill, so I don't worry about it. Keeps the water nice, keeps the fish happy, keeps the plants in the bog healthy.

I had fish in my deck pond, run on a timer, the fish did fine, the water never stayed as nice as the constantly running big pond. But when the stream and the deck pond ran, the deck pond was flushed with big pond water. I run it on a timer due to the higher electric use, clear water pump we need to use to handle the head pressure.

Reaction score
I would leave it on. The first time you miss a beat in turning it back on and you have a problem, you will be kicking yourself. Additionally, the warmer the water temps, the less the oxygen levels in your pond water and thus the larger possiblities for fish death.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That's what I figured, but my wife was asking, so I figured I'd check here. Keep it nice and oxygenated and no still surface water for the mosquitos.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run the stream enough to flush those little blood suckers. I only saw one mosquito last summer, think the frogs, birds, dragon, carnivorous plants eat them up

Reaction score
Yes. More specifically the myth has to do with the definition of "stll water". There is a difference between white water rapids and a 1000 gal pond with a 1000 GPH pump.

Ask a Question