Pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I’m going to start my first pond build soon. I’m trying to gather equipment, supplies, plans, and knowledge.

Please help me with pumps. Specifically the pros and cons of submersible or not. And if it’s not a pump sitting on the bottom of the pond, forgive my ignorance, but where are you housing it?

Also interested in opinions on quality brands for pumps. I search around this site for names and then go to Amazon and read reviews—but that can be overwhelming! Something can get 100 5 star reviews and then I read a couple 2 star reviews and now I’m scared off by it. Kind of paralysis by analysis.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Dosry5- There are no bad questions! It can be overwhelming just starting out. I use submersible pumps as the plumbing and setups for an external pump confuse me. It's best to have the pump up off the bottom slightly so in case there is a problem with plumbing, the pond will not drain completely. Better to lose a pump than all of your fish. As for brands, I love the Laguna pumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Submersible pumps are more difficult to keep clean but are simpler to plumb and install.
External pumps are easier to maintain because you can install an inline filter but the plumbing is more complicated.
Don't put too much faith in Amazon reviews. Most pumps are fine when they're installed and used as designed.
Look for well known pumps and don't make price your main criteria.
Post here the brands/models of pumps you're looking at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some have a skimmer like myself and the pump is in the skimmer housing. This is still a submersible pump setup just not on the bottom.

Thanks, that’s kinda what I was wondering. So does the skimmer essentially act as a filter also? I was looking at Pondguy Clearspring Pro waterfall filter along with a Laguna Maxflo 2000. Or is buying a complete kit in a box a better way to go? If I used that Clearspring waterfall fall filter would that be enough filtration with a skimmer also?

I plan to dig a hole about 8x10 or so and 3 ft deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some have a skimmer like myself and the pump is in the skimmer housing. This is still a submersible pump setup just not on the bottom.

So with a pump in the pond, how do you conceal it? Because if the goal is clear water wouldn’t it stand out like a sore thumb in 3 ft of water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, that’s kinda what I was wondering. So does the skimmer essentially act as a filter also? I was looking at Pondguy Clearspring Pro waterfall filter along with a Laguna Maxflo 2000. Or is buying a complete kit in a box a better way to go? If I used that Clearspring waterfall fall filter would that be enough filtration with a skimmer also?

I plan to dig a hole about 8x10 or so and 3 ft deep.

The skimmer really does not apply filtration, that is more the mechanical cleaner. It will clean the surface and the filter pad will help clean the water also but this gets rinsed to much to be a good bio filter. The waterfall filter will be the main filtration with the Bio media. The amount of filtration needed is more about fish load and plantings. The setup you mentioned should be fine without over loading the system with fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So with a pump in the pond, how do you conceal it? Because if the goal is clear water wouldn’t it stand out like a sore thumb in 3 ft of water?

I have 2 pumps in the pond they are small with pre filters on them, they have algae built up on them and you really do not see them. The pre filters are green. However if you get creative and place them under a flat rock, tunnel etc to hide them.

From my experience I would not put any pump in the pond, it is just a pain to clean them. I would either use a skimmer or a external pump. I added the 2 pumps later for additional filtration due to my fish load and the amount of ducks that go into the pond. If I where to make changes on mine I would do it with 2 skimmers and put the pumps in them not in the pond. Not saying you need 2 skimmers at all with the size you are planning on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
This the skimmer box that houses the submersible pump. The pump is prefiltered with Matala pads and quilt batting.
86FCBE08-8990-4E9A-896B-D9796D612F6A.jpeg
9769C623-1420-4911-BA79-706D24B68E49.jpeg

This provides mechanical filtration. The water is pumped to the falls for biological filtration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
So the pump is in that top pic? Inside that container?
Yes.
The top picture is a view looking from above. The clear pipe is leading down into the box where the pump sits . The black pipe leads into the pond and is attached to aN above the liner bottom drain. From left to right is matala pads then quilt batting.
The second pic is a front view with a cover on top of the same box in the first picture.

Ask a Question