Question for our lotus growers on the forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm almost done revamping my lotus pool. (Basically pulled out an ugly, in ground, preformed small pond and put in a piece of liner.
I had two lotus roots come in the mail yesterday. They are currently in the refrigerator. I have seen some videos and read some articles suggesting that I plant them in a pot and put up close to the surface of the water, then gradually drop down lower. Is there anything wrong with just planting them as they will be later - down lower in the cat litter? I feel like the worst that happens is a slower start. I don't know that I want to fool with moving them around a lot.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I dropped 3 pots of my lotus into 3' deep water last fall. Wasn't thinking about how to raise them up in the spring. Going to check for growth on them today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put mine where the will grow. Water is about 8 inches deep, tubers somewhere in 1.5 feet of kitty litter. They survive every winter.

Ask a Question