Raised Pond Water pressure, wall reinforcement, foundations and thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After not having much success when posting my last post/question within this forum I'm hoping this time I'll get some advise or personal experiences this time :/

I'll try not to waffle on.

My question is about wall strength for water above ground. The plan was to use blocks internally and 9 inch reclaimed brick for the face.
The wall will be approx 300mm (4 courses) above ground that will sit on a concrete foundation.

I've attached a rough drawing outlining the approx values for what I have planned.
Ive dug out quite a large hole for a large pond that will be approx 10m x 5m (wall to wall)

My concern is the water pressure on the wall above ground?
I'd rather overkill the situation... Im thinking maybe install a ring or rebar between the block and bricks with welded joins to make a continuous ring?
Is that over thinking ?
I do believe the wall would sustain the pressure without rebar but like I said, it'd be better safe than sorry... Or???

Many thanks
IMG_20200503_235606_5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You said you're going to sit it on a concrete foundation (basically a footing). Is that concrete poured yet? If not, I would hammer rebar into the ground that would match the hollow channels of the concrete blocks, then pour the footing. I would do a lot of them, maybe one rebar per block.
If that footing is already poured, use a hammer drill to make holes for the rebar. Hammer the rebar through the holes into the ground with a sledge hammer. Or as we used to call it at work a BFH.
Mortar cement the courses of concrete block together as if building a wall. (Don't just sit them dry on top of each other) Then fill the hollow channels with concrete. (encasing the rebar)

Then do the decorative bricks.

I think you will be OK.

Take pictures of your progress to help others with similar projects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Horizontal bars will hold more than the vertical, will act like a band. No need to weld them together just bypass about 2 ft and wire then together the concrete will do the rest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant, thanks for the advise. I definitely think the band idea is the way to go. Welding isn't a problem for me so I may as well weld it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My wall is approximately 4’ ..... I didn’t put a foundation underneath the wall but I buried one row of blocks beneath ground level. I installed vertical 1/2 inch rebar and pored each web with quickcrete . Been in service for four years and no problems so far.
DA2225AA-AB13-474F-BA2C-52D0198DBB0F.jpeg
67D62BE5-0A21-49BD-958B-6D8DF4EAE144.jpeg
3F16B756-6A9B-4B6B-BBBC-8D21AF6F88F0.jpeg
98420AE5-E544-4B9B-85CB-BADA17682ED0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jimmy Gibson,
Nicely done! Two rebar per block looks good and strong. I guess you pounded those rebar well into the ground!

Do you have any pictures of the finished product? I love to see other people's projects!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You said you're going to sit it on a concrete foundation (basically a footing). Is that concrete poured yet? If not, I would hammer rebar into the ground that would match the hollow channels of the concrete blocks, then pour the footing. I would do a lot of them, maybe one rebar per block.
If that footing is already poured, use a hammer drill to make holes for the rebar. Hammer the rebar through the holes into the ground with a sledge hammer. Or as we used to call it at work a BFH.
Mortar cement the courses of concrete block together as if building a wall. (Don't just sit them dry on top of each other) Then fill the hollow channels with concrete. (encasing the rebar)

Then do the decorative bricks.

I think you will be OK.

Take pictures of your progress to help others with similar projects.
Ive not yet pored any concrete... Muchos thanks for you advise, I think im going to do a mixture of advise (see posts below)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jimmy Gibson,
Nicely done! Two rebar per block looks good and strong. I guess you pounded those rebar well into the ground!

Do you have any pictures of the finished product? I love to see other people's projects!
Yes the rebar is driven about two foot into the ground...... all that being said.... our soil in West Tennessee is very heavy clay soil and very compact and hard to dig.... so depending on your soil.... such as very sandy or soft, you might have to put a footing under the blocks..... just because it worked for me doesn’t mean it will for you..... good luck, you will love your pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou to everyone who is helping me with advise in this thread.

Because of natural slate coping/capping and brick face i have planned it isnt possibly for me to use hollow breeze blocks. I have only 3" Wide blocks to play with so with advise you guys in this forum have given along side my friends and aquaintences in the know i am almost certain i will be installing a 10-12mm band of rebar between bricks and blocks around the whole circumference of the pond (Towards the top end of the blocks) Ill also be installing vertical lengths or rebar in the concrete.
Im more than likely going to weld all this together too. I'll also fill the void with concrete.

Im pretty sure the wall would hold up regardless of whether i used rebar or not but i wouldnt sleep at night unless i had taken this extra precaution!

Everyday is a school day!!! so and I am still open to new ideas or personal experiences on this project, i wont be starting the concrete untill friday 8th or sat 9th.

Regarding a previous comment in a previous post. I had a comment basically saying " its a concern when someone is attempting to build a pond whilst stating there not an expert"....

My answer to that is kinda simple.... No matter how many ponds you claim to have built the next project will always be unique... right?
Correct me if i am wrong but where is the instruction manual for building a feature never built before?

Im on this forum to benefit from others and for others to benefit from me or my mistakes.

Anyhoo Forum Rant over.

Ill keep the pics coming in from the current build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Because of natural slate coping/capping and brick face i have planned it isnt possibly for me to use hollow breeze blocks. I have only 3" Wide blocks to play with so with advise you guys in this forum have given along side my friends and aquaintences in the know i am almost certain i will be installing a 10-12mm band of rebar between bricks and blocks around the whole circumference of the pond (Towards the top end of the blocks) Ill also be installing vertical lengths or rebar in the concrete.
Im more than likely going to weld all this together too. I'll also fill the void with concrete.

Im pretty sure the wall would hold up regardless of whether i used rebar or not but i wouldnt sleep at night unless i had taken this extra precaution!

Everyday is a school day!!! so and I am still open to new ideas or personal experiences on this project, i wont be starting the concrete untill friday 8th or sat 9th.

Regarding a previous comment in a previous post. I had a comment basically saying " its a concern when someone is attempting to build a pond whilst stating there not an expert"....

My answer to that is kinda simple.... No matter how many ponds you claim to have built the next project will always be unique... right?
Correct me if i am wrong but where is the instruction manual for building a feature never built before?

Im on this forum to benefit from others and for others to benefit from me or my mistakes.

Anyhoo Forum Rant over.

Do what you think is best and will allow you to sleep at night.
I agree... no two projects are the same. Too many variables such as location, soil type (as mentioned), weather etc.
You're are 100% correct by collecting all reasonable suggestions and then decide what you feel will work for you.
It's good that you are not discouraged by snobby self described "experts".
Keep us posted on your progress and take lots of pictures that you can look back at in the future. Post a few here too!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do what you think is best and will allow you to sleep at night.
I agree... no two projects are the same. Too many variables such as location, soil type (as mentioned), weather etc.
You're are 100% correct by collecting all reasonable suggestions and then decide what you feel will work for you.
It's good that you are not discouraged by snobby self described "experts".
Keep us posted on your progress and take lots of pictures that you can look back at in the future. Post a few here too!
Thanks!
Ive done alot of different things in my life and ive used forums for advice on most of them. Advise from others can priceless. Unfortunately what comes with that is the 'snobby, self described "experts" :(

Ill Attach the latest pictures to this post although it doesnt look much different yet. Ill also make a youtube vid once finished!
IMG_20200504_135010_1.jpg
IMG_20200504_135040_0.jpg
IMG_20200504_135028_2.jpg
IMG_20200504_135013_0.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Anyhoo Forum Rant over.

Don’t worry about not having any experience..... I never built a pond in my life..... did I make mistakes .... yes.... but I repaired them..... but I did exactly what you are doing now.... I researched for over a year via the internet.... For every part of the build I built a consensus of dozens of different websites and opinions..... for me the hardest part was plastering on the mortar on the walls to get a somewhat smooth surface for the underlayment and the liner..... I tried and tried and failed..... then I found a You Tube video on how to plaster a block wall.... tried it and it worked..... it wasn’t a pond but it worked. Keep working at you will love your pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly... None of us will be able to create the perfect pond but with help we can get it close!!

This project is for a customer so I want to put in the effort to get the best results. My last pond 2 ponds turned out really nice and hopefully this one will be ok. It won't be perfect but also as it is strong and looks the part then I'll be happy.
Thaks again guys

Ask a Question