recommendations for reliable resource info

Reaction score
Any experienced Koi keepers have any good websites they could recommend? I purchased a few books on my amazon kindle but they weren't detailed. I know little to nothing and want some good resources to turn to:) Book recommendations would also be appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Koiphen has a lot of good info on Koi. Read a lot before making a post. They're pretty serious, less of a social forum than here. All of their info is geared to fairly large ponds which doesn't always scale down to a 300 gal pond. Good info if you're considering a new pond though.

Books are pretty worthless.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had koi for 9 years and the best thing for them is a good filter plenty of oxygen and plenty of room to grow .My koi were a couple of inches long and are now over 2 feet long .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Koi forums Koiphen and Koi-bito are two of the best. But like waterbug stated, do your homework and give every detail you possibly can. Most want give you much help until the know size of pond, 3 of fish, size of fish, water parameters including but not limilted to ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, General hardness, Carbonate Hardness, o2 level, and many will want to know metal content and phosphorus as well.
Good book I would recommend, Koi Kichi by Paul Waddington,
Nishikigoi Mondo [U.S.A. & Canada]
LWS (Living Water Solutions)
Email: (e-mail address removed)
and Erik Johnson's Koi health and disease. (amazon.com)
I will tell you you can read 5 books and get 5 completely different answers to a single question, but reading and having the material to find more than one way to do something will give you options. I personally have been kepping koi for about 6 years, 2 a lot more serious than the previous four. I have multiple books, and I read forums on average of one to four hours a day DAILY! and I'm by far still a novice. Koi can be one of the most demanding fish, but with proper care and good education they can be some of the longest living pet fish and can give many many hours and years of enjoyment. But it comes at a cost, no matter what they are not cheap fish to keep, you eaither spend money and time learning and applying or you spend money treating and retreating and spending money on more equipment to treat. or you spend more money replacing fish. IMO, a good test kit, a couple of good books and keeping a journal of what your water is doing will be an expense but one that will pay ofr itself many times over by being preventive instead of treating.

Ask a Question