addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do you have it password protected? ours is open here, but no one close enough to steal it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have it protected with a pass word but found out that having the wireless was making it easy for some one to get in and steal the pass word .Wayne from century link was telling me ways they do it .I guess if they want free internet they figure it out and funny it only cost 19.99 a month for it ,come on people it costs more to steal it .Thing is when the builder built the new houses here he did not run underground phone lines to those houses or give them jacks for internet or tv .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Fall is here, leaves are everywhere, got to work on getting the little fish out of the front yard pond and put them in the back yard ponds, they will winter in the bottom pond there with other little fish. The pond in the front is only 100 gallons so tempertuare swings more with smaller pools of water. The back yard ponds will be just fine as I winter them there every year and they do just fine with a heater and the water will still flow from the three connected ponds all winter, under the ice. Got to get the leaves out first and remove all the plants and drain the water down so its easy to catch them. Thank goodness its small, so it should not take too long.... got to make a coffee first this morning, had a rough time waiting for my hubby to get out of surgery in Calgary, going back there tomorrow. He is stable, and operation went "according to plan", the best plan he had for his condition....told him he looks good, even if I had to lie....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will take time and after surgery you are always puffy but that shall pass and coffee soothes the soul and sure the love you get from the 4 legged friends help you to relax .So take care and know we are all thinking of you and rooting for him

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Colleen glad to hear the surgery is over and now your hubby can heal. I know he has a long process to go through to get totally well again but he has you and the pups there to help him along. Sending you both prayers of strength and healing. Glad you have your pups w/ you and your pond and fishies to keep you busy and help you relax like sissy said
hugged010.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lots of time, lots of love, it will be tough but he will make it. Your love and help will help him make it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Its going to freeze hard next week, that's the forcast Tues and Weds, so I will have to move my succllent dishes inside the greenhouse and debating about harvesting my hubbys Black Mamouth Tabacco, I should just leave it to freeze, even if it is the Natural Organic kind, he was using his "home grown" tabacco to "ween" himself off the real stuff.

Everything in the pond will be just fine, everything except the Calla lillys that is... The Calla can freeze off the tops quite hard, but not the bulb. I have left the Calla in the pond with the tops totally froze off, then took them in the greenhouse, otherwise if I take both of them inside still growing, they will bloom like crazy and look great, but take too much room inside. I think I will leave one growing all years to look good inside the greenhouse, but let the other freeze off and go domant, that way they won't overtake my greenhouse, cause I half to fit lots of suff inside.

I leave the water lillys outside, UNDER the ice, but not IN the ice. BIG difference! If they are a foot or so down in my pond, they will be just fine, cause I heat the pond so the ice is never more than five or so inches thick.

The leaves are really falling fast, the net seems to keep most of the leaves out, but some are small and fall threw, not a big deal, they can be removed in the spring too, when the have sunk down to the bottom of pond.

Pictures of the "middle" pond

Attachments

• IMG_20120929_072124.jpg
    IMG_20120929_072124.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20120929_072141.jpg
    IMG_20120929_072141.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 190

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then you have your work cut out for you Colleen. Better get busy and start hauling those plants into your green house cuz if you have a ton it might take ya awhile. I just have a very few things this year to move into the garage. I have a green house but don't want to heat it in winter. I'm gonna see if my Mexican Fan Palm that I planted in the ground will make it through the winter if I put the warm kind of Christmas lights wrapped around the trunk and sheets over the top. Made it last winter but we had a mild one. One of these years it might just freeze and go to the big palm Heaven in the sky. But I have had it for many yrs. It's just too big to move in and out of the garage anymore.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sometimes is just easy to chuck them and start new, but my succulents are in small clay saucers or dishes, not too much dirt, so they are not hard to pick up and stick back in greenhouse, and most of them can tolerate light freezing, so it's not a big deal to pick them up and arrange nicely on my greenhouse shelf, trouble is there is so many of them now I wonder if I can still fit everything.... I'll make it fit, I somehow always do. They are worth lots of money some if them, that I have been growing like a bonsai, and next year I should sell some, I have given some away to friends from time to time. I just keep planting more... I found some new and exciting succlents today, going to plant up next week. Got to keep busy anyway to stay sane, cause its a real scary time for my sweet hubby....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm happy you have your plants and pond to keep you busy and help the time go by so it won't seem so long that your hubby is away. Before ya know it he will be back w/ you to cuddle around the campfires out by the pond. When you get all your plants fitted in the green house you should take a picture of them all and let us see how many neat ones you have in there all cozied up for the long winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well guessing poppy and bear are more than happy you are there mommy and know they want to make you feel better .Dogs can sense when something is wrong .Good luck to hubby and hoping for him to have a speedy recovery

H

humbirdlover

Those leaves remind me of gold nuggets laying around, so pretty. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy, and still sending cyber hugs to you and hubby :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Going to freeze fairly hard tonight and tomorrow, have to get busy now in the yard....
Hubby doing better, he"texted" me today, nurses "poking" him lots and "working him over" real good today. Those nurses are in their early twentys, or at least they look like they are, some look like they could be models or something, and I found out that he is not allowed to shower right now, but they are "sponge" bathing him. Poor guy, must be sheer torture!!! After everything he been through, I'm happy that he has very pretty nurses to take good care of him. What the heck, my dentist is very "easy on the eyes", and I think that if I'm going to be tortured and in pain, at least the "view" should be pleasant ! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol colleen at the least they are gal nurses, he could have had cute males nurses!

They push you hard. No longer do you get to lay in bed for a week after major surgery, now open heart and out of bed within a few days, as soon as they yank the breathing tubes. Always had patients complaining when they came down for tests after surgery. My dad grumped about it after his open heart.
As soon as they start removing tubes, it means you are on your way out the door!

Soon he will be home.

Ask a Question