Retrofit bottom drain - install without cutting liner in a running pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
As flow rate increases so does friction loss. The less friction loss the better the water can flow.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As flow rate increases so does friction loss. The less friction loss the better the water can flow.

Correct. This is the reason that you should use the manufacturers recommended pipe size as this is the most efficient overall. As you increase pipe size PSI is reduced resulting in a proportional reduction in water velocity. This may not be a desirable effect depending on application.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a way where worrying about air build up inside the pipe is irrelevant, and this is what I am leaning toward. I have two bottom drains due to code in this state that split off of a 4" pvc.. it is cut into the bottom of the liner and then as is comes up to the top of the water level of the pond but again outside the liner the 4" pipe could use a t/y with an open 2" on the y. this does not work on syphon BUT it does WORK like a Jacuzzi EQUALIZER. but my set up has to have the water level and the pipe be even. Then have it enter into the settlement chamber. but instead of a pipe I am leaning toward a lower open side that would allow the water to flow freely by gravity down a "return" stream that will end at a pond less waterfall. that will have the stream fall into a rain water collection tank of 1500 gallons there the water will be picked up by the 12,000 gph water pump that will only have to lift the water into the bottom of the bog at the top of the main falls. flow out of the bog fall THIS BOG IS A DYI using a 24" storm drain tile plastic pipe. The rain collection system should delay the water long enough that if there was any spores that the water wanted to turn green sitting in an underwater vault with no light should inhibit it from growing . then theres the 24" bog horizontal centipede again allowing the water to settle any sediment before it's pumped up through 8" of 6 plus round then through a 1 1/2" with 8" and finaly through 3/4 river rock and over the 2' water fall down the 65 foot stream and fall a 1 foot water fall and back into the main pond again. ANYONE ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is a way where worrying about air build up inside the pipe is irrelevant, and this is what I am leaning toward. I have two bottom drains due to code in this state that split off of a 4" pvc.. it is cut into the bottom of the liner and then as is comes up to the top of the water level of the pond but again outside the liner the 4" pipe could use a t/y with an open 2" on the y. this does not work on syphon BUT it does WORK like a Jacuzzi EQUALIZER. but my set up has to have the water level and the pipe be even. Then have it enter into the settlement chamber. but instead of a pipe I am leaning toward a lower open side that would allow the water to flow freely by gravity down a "return" stream that will end at a pond less waterfall. that will have the stream fall into a rain water collection tank of 1500 gallons there the water will be picked up by the 12,000 gph water pump that will only have to lift the water into the bottom of the bog at the top of the main falls. flow out of the bog fall THIS BOG IS A DYI using a 24" storm drain tile plastic pipe. The rain collection system should delay the water long enough that if there was any spores that the water wanted to turn green sitting in an underwater vault with no light should inhibit it from growing . then theres the 24" bog horizontal centipede again allowing the water to settle any sediment before it's pumped up through 8" of 6 plus round then through a 1 1/2" with 8" and finaly through 3/4 river rock and over the 2' water fall down the 65 foot stream and fall a 1 foot water fall and back into the main pond again. ANYONE ?
You lost me at "I have two bottom drains due to code in this state". :p
I've never heard of any states (or any government agencies for that matter) that regulate how many bottom drains your pond must have? :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Mucky_Waters

It is a real thing for sure, they may not enforce it for ponds but it does include water features over 18" deep

Building codes for pools include any body of water really, including wading pools, spas, therapeutic and decorative ponds and water features, of a depth greater than 18 inches.

Dual Main Drains
With the signing into law of the Virginia Graeme Baker Act (VGB), all pools and spas that are constructed must have dual main drains, 36” apart, and a cover that confirms with the reference standard. This law is specifically designed to prevent future entrapment injuries. The pool water is drawn through both main drains simultaneously, which removes the possibility of being held down by strong suction or stuck on the drain cover.

Commercial pools, or public pools around the country were required to retrofit older pools with dual main drains. This has not been the case for residential pools, only in new construction. For vinyl inground pools, however, the process of converting from single to dual main drains is sometimes a simpler job than for concrete pools, and you may want to consider this safety upgrade the next time you change your inground pool liner.

dual-main-drain-2.jpg

Main Drain Safety. If you have a single drain pool, at the least, make sure that drain covers are always in place, secured with screws. If your pool plumbing has a separate main drain line with a separate valve, a set-up that allows you to isolate the suction to the main drain only - think of ways to prevent someone accidentally shutting off the skimmers, giving full suction to the main drain only. Ways such as; instruct family members of the danger, remove or tape valve handles, or rotate 3-way valve lids to reposition the handle stops.

Reaction score
Interesting, I can understand the reasoning behind implementing a code like that on a swimming pool, but doesn't really make sense that they would enforce it for a pond since there are a lot of other swimming pool heath and safety violations that your average backyard pond would not meet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting, I can understand the reasoning behind implementing a code like that on a swimming pool, but doesn't really make sense that they would enforce it for a pond since there are a lot of other swimming pool heath and safety violations that your average backyard pond would not meet.
My pond is closer to the size of a swimming pool but shallower as it is only 5'-6" or there about . Having two suction drains on a pool that's 10 feet deep no little kid is going to be able to reach so it's there I don't get the need for the rule . The little girl who the law was based on got stuck in a Jacuzzi main drain not in the pool so the shallow areas I can see the need. Thus I put in a second.

Ask a Question